Posts made by Mark Wilson

Hi Sue

As a returning adult student who recently completed an Associate's degree in Sociology, the paper you've provided is interesting on many levels. Having the same basic skills rubrics across an institution would benefit everyone immensely. Especially in the areas where I've found my courses lacking, digital fluency and intercultural communication. These gaps are as true for administration and faculty as they are for students.

Having spent several years in the "Community College Trap", and as a student representative on many shared governance committees, I have to chuckle at getting "everyone in a department to agree to use the same rubric." It sure would be helpful to students but I doubt I'll live long enough to ever have that experience. ;-)

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Christina

As an adult student, I love your explanations of the many ways students can use rubrics. It has never occurred to me to use a rubric as I'm editing an assignment before submission. 

I was at this year's BC Festival of Learning and looked forward to participating in this FLO microcourse. I appreciate it being open to all and, as an intern Learning Designer\Technolgist at an institution moving online, will recommend all the FLO trainings to the faculty I'm working with. 

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Doug

I love the simplicity of your holistic rubric. This is most helpful to students as they try to understand what is required. Your situation seems to be the opposite of mine and seeing rubrics applied in different settings has really opened my eyes to their many possibilities. And thanks for your feedback on my rubric, it is very helpful. Going forward, achievement level two needs a little copyediting.

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Jacquie

Yes, Leonne and Doug's feedback is very helpful. This is the early stages of an institutional transformation and I will share my (revised) rubric and all the comments with faculty. My POV is always as a student, despite often being the oldest person in the room. WISR being an institution of individualized and self-directed learning, my intention is to encourage faculty to use this rubric in addition to their ongoing conversations about the content and the quality of students' work. This "WISR Way" is based on the agency of the 'actors' and the relationships we create across the institution. Quantification and checklists are avoided while narratives, personal and otherwise, are encouraged. My revised rubric is attached to my reply to Doug.

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Leonne

In the context of the thousands of words describing what is required of students, it is clear there is only one institution-wide Forum. WISR only has thirty students, but plans will have to be made for the growth necessary to survive the expense of accreditation. Perhaps there will be one Forum for each degree level or program. As I said in my reply to Doug, this rubric has institutional goals and I'm assuming faculty will add learning outcomes. I also changed "optional" to "additional" to reflect the fact that students have to do much more than the "required" assignments to log enough hours in each course. The "WISR Way" is to let students direct their own learning paths and create their own assignments to fulfill coursework requirements. Revised rubric attached to the previous reply.

Best Regards

Mark