Posts made by Bettina Boyle

Hi Nancy and Sue,

I love the stringing exemplified with this activity here. I've used AI and WWW, but not Ecocycle before, but seeing it in this context aligned with the purpose it makes total sense. 

I'm getting a bit stuck on how this would work logistically, especially for the ecocycle and sharing individual slides in Zoom. While doable, would it be challenging for pairs/triads to bring back the slides to the breakout rooms and to shift between them? How might it impact the activity (and the ability to note similarities and differences) if pairs added to the same slide (maybe with different colours)?

I noticed a maybe for including AI in the WWW debrief/surfacing lessons. My sense would be it would deepen the experience and learning to do so. Linking AI lessons to the findings from Ecocycle could reveal more valuable insights.

Other LS options...if the purpose of the group is to make progress on their work and advance the practice of "knotworking" an LS such as TRIZ might be really fun to do. I love TRIZ because it never fails to bring forth surprises - and laughter. Perhaps there are obvious things each practitioner needs to stop doing to make progress...

This comes a little late, nevertheless, I do want to thank you for your input. Ironically, I found myself not able to log on for the last two days,  and as I was thinking about the feedback I received,  Sue's comments around the challenge of designing an activity with multiple daily or weekly deadlines. For my own activity, I feel challenged to try to come up with something asynchronously for my students with less weekly deadlines, yet still follow the steps within Liberating Structures. I am also thinking it would be helpful to create a weekly flow or structure, which is very similar in terms of engagement from week to week regardless of the activity.  I will continue to ponder...

Both your comments around giving examples (written, video, visual) also really resonated and I will definitely include that in my design!

Playing along...Responding to Nancy, and Sue has her back to us.. :-)

I can definitely see how Appreciative Interviews would be a another good way to achieve the purpose here. That being said, I feel there's great alignment between the purpose, the LS and the description of how. The instructions to “list factors” and “compile a list” are very specific, which I think will really help the learners online and make it manageable given the context of them just starting out in this course.

I wonder how the group will work together in the 3rd step. I struggled with this too. The forum is not the best collaboration space, but since they may not know the other group members yet, agreeing on a different way to connect may take too much away from the task at hand. Maybe there could be a google doc set up for them as you suggested, Nancy. Moodle has a wiki...but it's clunky. 

Another LS that may be fun to play with for an outcome of a list of success factors may be 25/10 Crowdsourcing. Everyone adds their bold idea (in this case, factors that contribute to a project’s success) and the ideas are ranked (1-5 by everyone). I wonder if your LMS (or another tool) could support this ranking so students won’t see other responses before they’ve submitted (ranked 5). The advantage of this is that you end up with a list of Our Top Ten Success Factors. Might be fun to discuss this and come back to this list as the term progresses. Does it still hold true, given what we know now? Why is it so? Why not?