Posts made by Alvaro Galvis

I agree with Emma, a key point is to be aware of what is needed and the constrictions that may exist by the part of potential participants in eLearning processes. If you are dealing with science or math education, for instance, it would be good to promote local installation of simulation programs, instead of running them from the server. The same happens with multimedia curriculum materials. Local groups can explore them without an active Internet connection, provided that the materials are delivered using the appropriate channel, which in developing countries could be CD ROM, or local educational portals.

However, I think that the above only solves part of the accessibility problems. In my experience doing ICT-based teacher professional development in rural areas of Colombia and Peru, I have found that building local communities of learners really makes the difference. Having access to technology and digital information is not enough, it is a necessary condition. I have found that blended learning makes a difference, if it is more that just mixing online/onsite formats, since it requires both local and global learning communities.

I wonder if the above considerations only matter in developing countries. What is your experience?

Alvaro
I agree with Emma, a key point is to be aware of what is needed and the constrictions that may exist by the part of potential participants in eLearning processes. If you are dealing with science or math education, for instance, it would be good to promote local installation of simulation programs, instead of running them from the server. The same happens with multimedia curriculum materials. Local groups can explore them without an active Internet connection, provided that the materials are delivered using the appropriate channel, which in developing countries could be CD ROM, or local educational portals.

However, I think that the above only solves part of the accessibility problems. In my experience doing ICT-based teacher professional development in rural areas of Colombia and Peru, I have found that building local communities of learners really makes the difference. Having access to technology and digital information is not enough, it is a necessary condition. I have found that blended learning makes a difference, if it is more that just mixing online/onsite formats, since it requires both local and global learning communities.

I wonder if the above considerations only matter in developing countries. What is your experience?

Alvaro