Posts made by Nancy Riffer

Here is a social psychology website about basic concepts in the field. A faculty member has collected links to audio and video resources and includes examples from student journals and his own experience. It has been added to for several years.
I think Brenda's problem about bandwidth will be an interesting challenge for all of us to consider as we discuss specifics. How could (or, could) each thing we discuss be adapted for low bandwidth?

If we want to encourage high bandwidth students to work with people who do not have high bandwidth e.g., in rural areas in less developed countries, what options are available and how do we work around the limitations?

If I remember correctly when I was on dial-up, an asynchronous conversation like this one was possible. I have also participated in online conferences that were global that had an option for people to receive text-only. (I don't remember whether that was a setting on the individual computer or if it was part of the conference setup.)

Marsha, this issue must have come up when you were first teaching at VHS. What were you able to do? (Marsha was my first online teacher back when I was on dial-up.)

Is anybody else limited in the work you do by dial-up connections? How do you work around this problem?

Do you have experiences to share about effective ways of using the computer for Web2.0 type activities that you use or remember using?

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Wednesday, 23 July 2008, 04:57 AM. Moved post to a new discussion thread and linked back to Brenda Hallowes introductory post where she mentions bandwidth)

I'm a former faculty member at a liberal arts college in upstate New York. I assisted in teaching the online part of a blended graduate course some years ago. I'm mostly self-taught in using Web 2.0 tools (with the help of my young adult children).

I'm in this seminar because I'm very interested in the variety of activities that faculty can use to make their classes more interesting, relevant, and learner-centered. I'm particularly interested in finding specific examples of the application of the suggestions in R2D2 in liberal arts college classrooms.

I've worked in the area of organizational change for a number of years. Part of my personal learning beyond this seminar is wanting to understand the leverage points in academe that would make the needed changes more attainable.

I'm also a voracious learner and will be learning from the perspectives of all of you.
It is our custom to begin each seminar with introductions. It helps us to know who is here. We ask even those who may not intend to say anything to initially let us know you are here.

I'll suggest a general question for starters: Why are you participating in this seminar?

Feel free to add questions and answer as you like.

P.S. I am a seminar participant and am taking a little initiative.
My name is Nancy Riffer and I have my own business in professional and organizational development. Higher education and mental health have been the focus of my work over the years. I am currently adding work with neighborhoods and how they learn.

My professional development includes reading from books, on-line seminars, following a few blogs regularly, experimenting/trying things out, contact with several colleagues who work in diverse content areas, and hiring tutors to help me master the parts of Web 2.0 that I struggle with.

I am a life long learner. I can't help myself. I procrastinate by learning "just one more thing." I make an effort to understand and work with people who do not want to be in charge of their own learning and do not find learning exciting. I assume they have had difficult learning situations in the past; the hard part for me is finding ways to get past their previous experience and assumptions to introduce them to their own passion for learning. I think viral learning may sneak up on them. I'm interested in learning more.