Discussions started by Derek Chirnside

Why not xPads or tablets? Why just the iPad?? I know this is a sideline question to the current debate.

As far as I know there will be some new tablets coming on the market soon.
The HP got scathing reviews.
"HP's Slate is official, with an $800 price tag, iffy specs (at least for something running Windows 7) and an N-Trig touchscreen-'n'-pen display. That'll make it interesting for digital artists, but for everyone else, it's just a pretty keyboardless netbook.

Its most interesting characteristic is a bizarre slide-out tray that exists only to display the Windows 7 licensing information. It's like something from some kind of screwball comedy about awful product design: HP was apparently obliged to do this because it didn't want to mess up the exterior with this compulsory information panel.

When explaining to people why iOS and Linux (i.e. Android and WebOS) are the only credible options in the near future for consumer tablets, I used to have to explain to people exactly why non-touchscreen desktop operating systems like Windows 7 make them suck. Now, however, I just have to point out that Microsoft's lawyers get to impose design decisions on their hardware partners" (Maybe I just answered my own question)

Plus:

Dell Streak Dell vs iPad vs Samsung
Julia mentioned this as a possible thread to talk about Mahara . She wrote,

We need to hammer out what we need to see from our various perspectives--capstone, ASR (Attainment of Standards Reports for BC College of Teachers)--that will drive the Mahara view templates. Do you have experience with using Groups vs. Communities? Maybe we could create a Mahara thread.

This is a new thread for this. I am not sure what my personal future holds with respect to Mahara. I am sort of interested.

The Mahara discussion itself is also here. http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/index.php?group=1

The roadmap is here: http://wiki.mahara.org/Roadmap I notice no comments in the blog.

But this particular workshop finishes very soon.

I stumbed across an old portfolio like web page a few minutes ago.
Caution, this is tangential and a little off task. I have six hours of excrutiating concentration coming up today, and this is a last little distraction.
Summary: an interesting and unusual hypertext web page from around 2001 on the topic of T S Elliots poem, "The Hollow Men" - is it a portfolio?

A long awaited book has emerged, the second volume of T S Elliots' letters and I was reading a review about it this morning at breakfast. The only thing I knew of this this poet was 'The Hollow Men' which I googled.
Near the top is this link: http://www.aduni.org/~heather/occs/honors/Poem.htm
This is a great little introduction to the Poem written in hypertext.
I found the overall guide to the work here: http://www.aduni.org/~heather/occs/honors/Default.htm
Written by Heather Van Aelst who is referenced on this page: http://www.aduni.org/people/index.php?view=students
A simple Google search discovers a little of the trajectory of the writer.

It looks like these pages were done as part of an innovative programme ADUni.org which I have a vague memory of reading about. It looks like a great experience.
The institution (If you can call it that) is ArsDigita http://www.aduni.org/
"ADU was a one-year, intensive post-baccalaureate program in Computer Science based on the undergraduate course of study at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The majority of the instructors were professors from MIT and the program was tuition free. After running from September 2000 through July 2001, seeing the first class to graduation, the program was forced to shut down"
[I wonder what 'forced to shut down' means?] As a totally random comment, one of the workshops in the course was entitled "What to do when the Teacher is an Ignoramus or a Liar: Learning from Queries even when the Answers to the Queries are Wrong".

My thoughts: is this little piece of hypertext a 'portfolio'? It probably is/was. It looks like it may have been part of the assessment. I find it fascinating that such a piece can be written (in 2001 I think) and live on in this way and that it was so very high up the Google search page.
Can work of this quality be produced more easily with really open class and portfolio opportunities? Maybe the answer is yes, and this could be what Michael is saying.
Blogs for eportfolio activities.
THIS POST GREW AND GREW LIKE TOPSY AS I WROTE
I've approached the notion of eportfolios very simply. At it's most basic, the main items with eportfolio creation to add 'evidence' to a course for course completion/assessment are:
  1. Content - a document, some writing, an image, a movie clip
  2. Commentary on the content.

Examples of content + commentary

1. In the nursing scene, it is a requirement here in NZ to produce a report on a specific patient from birth to now, including mental health issues, involvement with alcohol and tobacco/other drugs, health history, family illnesses etc etc.
The written form to guide this is quite complex. So an e-portfolio 'entry' for this may be
  1. a note about the patient, why he/she was chosen, issues around the carrying out of the report etc
  2. the report itself
  3. Supporting reference material eg an audio/video recording, copy of a permitted file etc.
2. In a bakers course, a picture of some bread can be sent to a blog via cell phone SMS at 4.50am while working hard - and may be followed later with some written comment.

What to do with these content + commentary 'entities' and how to 'deliver'/'present' for various purposes?

Having worked with a number of eportfolio systems, including Mahara and one we designed outselves, my current preference is a good blog - or a blog like entity.

My first rationale is ease of use.

If we assume that particpants know about using mobile phones and e-mail then they have the concepts of texting, sending pictures via phone SMS, e-mail address, attachments, subject, body, editor, cc/bcc etc.

Four (new) blog concepts are needed:

1. Blog Entry
  2. Category
  3. Tag
  4. Comment
This is now much much easier than a couple of years ago with the pervasive influence and experieince of social networking sites, particularly Facebook.
One other skill that has been troublesome (still) is that of inserting a link. (One of the first literacies I check if any class I teach has 'got')
This then takes care of basic skills needed to begin to work.
Another is the size of images (on the HDD) vs the size of images on the page. Software can help this.

Practices to create e-portfolio KISS

The protoculs can be something like this:

1. Each class assignment/activity has a tag
  2. Each course has a category
  3. Multiple part assignments or major assignments could have their own category.
  4. Students can add any other categories they like

Scenarios with a blog

Assessment (One off, summative):

Lets say you have a major assignment for NUR101 Patient Report
1) Student tags the final items with something like "101 Patient Peport"
2) Assessor clicks on the category, all blog posts appear relevant to this assignment . .
3) Assessment begins. Could be printed out etc.
Note: the ONE major thing we have found a minor limitation is the printed order on the page. It is reverse chronological. However each post + associated items (tags, comments, files) is an entity at the code level and it would not be a big deal to produce a page in an alternative order: such as numerical/alphabetical by subject.

Assessment of long term project

1) Student records activity in posts. Can be public or not.
2) Tutors comment when required.
3) Produce a final post to wrap things up

Interactive options - with other students.

Teacher posts in All blogs an assignment. Can assign other blogs to post feedback on. Again, simple categories.
"This week, post a comment on topic with the category "Week 3 Topic". Next week, respond to those in your group with a comments"

Group work

Don't bother with a blog: Moodle wiki plus closed forum plus open forum

Other notes:

In the College of Education teachers courses this enables the same work to go towards two assessments. Just assign more than one category. Why have to do a "rationale for lesson plans" or "Vygotsky overview" in every course?

Qualification blog (rather than course blog)

Graduate attibutes are a big thing here in NZ. This scenario can lead to a pretty complex blog if it goes on for a while. But it seems to be OK at the moment. Stuff can have a life over a multi course qualification.

Technical notes.

First we used out own blog/journal component inside our old home grown LMS. We tailored the CSS to get nice printouts using a minimum of paper. Wordpress (with posts and pages) would seem to be idea.
Stick some social networking stuff in if you really like with buddypress. http://buddypress.org/
Categories and subcategories can really help here. In Wordpress you can move all old categories for 2009 into 2009 sub categories to tody things up.

Ongoing, long term portfolio.

We didn't move on to this very much.

A) Getting a job stuff: port folio/showcase

The end result was simple websites, with material uploaded to suit.
The best quickest was when blog material was in the same server and a simple commentated page with links to material was created.

B) Ongoing (longer term) professional/personal reflection

Another bigger topic. We have NOT done much here.

Final comments

Staff development.

Did not need a lot of help. The same skills of the students are needed, and not a lot else.

Einstein said: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

This blog scenario is the simplest I can envisage at the moment.

Is it too simple?

I admit this is a rather superficial approach to portfolios: it is reasonably pragmatic. No deep engagement, not high level of integration in terms of the tools, no complex views, no fine grained levels of visibliity and permissions, and no voting/SN tools.
However some of the work we have seen from students has been quite deep in the level of thought, personal reflection and creative thinking. While the tool is not complex, the actual outlput has been good. IMO Several aspects have contributed to this.
  1. Catching thinking on the fly is one. My impression is that little thoughtlets caught soon after the heat of a class were very valuable catalysts.
  2. Careful probing questions from a wise facilitator is another.
  3. The odd student who acts as a wonderful catalyst is another. These have been rare, but my impression is they are becoming more visible as we give the tools and the connections precedence.
In some respects, the TASKS that are set are the key. High quality tasks, high quality mentoring/facilitating . . .

Audience/visibility

I have not addressed the questions of visibility of blogs to the world. We actually has setting Class, LMS wide and world for our blogs, but we found firstly most never changed these. Next that our classes (sometimes 100+) were big enough to provide a sense of audience. A few had their own blogs and just kept their lives a little separate.

Abandoned here.
-Derek

I'll add another post to respond to a few comments on eportfolio and blogs later. I tried the quote option and it crashed.
Just a few days left until this seminar draws to an end.  Out official title was this:

A personal learning environment refers to the tools and processes that enable us to take greater control over our learning experiences. How does this change the way we teach and learn?

I think we have teased out a few issues.
  • Tools.  (pageflakes, evernote, delicious, netvibes, google docs)
  • The P in PLE and morphing into PWLE (Ron, your article was quite important here - thanks)
  • The attitudes.  A pervasive theme. . . .
    I think we are agreed here . . .  :-)
  • Providing for the tools and attitudes in schools and businesses
    Not sure if we have got this clear.
  • teaching and PLE's
    See Bron's summary: From Re: teacher presence and PLE summary by bronwynh on Sunday, 17 June 2007 3:18:00 p.m.:
    It looks like overall that people see the PLE as a self-directed learning tool which works best when shared with others so we get the advantages of social interaction and comment. So the teacher is probably not vital but could contribute to the learning experience for the PLE user.
  • Assessment eg Emma - From Re: learning in isolation by emmadw on Monday, 18 June 2007 6:48:00 a.m.:
    but students should be able to identify those sections that are for assessment - or, better, use what they have learnt in their learning to create the artefact for assessment.
Some of these ideas are pretty scattered over the forum.  I'll not attempt a summary, Sylvia asked me about the future of the wiki, I'm not really sure.  There are actually some better summaries and wikis out there.
I actually don't feel  like I've quite been present as a facilitator as much as I could have, I've been trying to process a few things.
There is great stuff here, but it may remain here.  Unless anyone wants to compile some of these themes??

The first is the attitudes.  Because of a workshop next week, I've revisited Nancy White's Seven Competencies for Online interaction.  Which has actually now become 8)
Here are a few at random (and I mean really random) from the 18 points on Bev Tarynors Phonesis. A few random highlighted bits . . .

1. People think that going online will solve their problems, but you get online and it's not that easy. Among other things you are bridging literacies, bridging belief systems and bridging languages.

2. Interacting online involves thinking/moving laterally not hierarchically. <snip>

3. We have to be able to read a hell of a lot more; we need to be able to scan and see patterns.

6. Interaction is emergent and multi-contextual.

7. We have to be able to write. And we have to be writers, beyond words including images, music etc.

9. An important competence is to be unknowing. <snip>

10. Blogging is going to increase our online competencies - it will change the way we articulate our ideas.

12. The power and importance of the lurker.

(This would be a fun topic to talk over, but a digression here - you get the idea)  This is actually a big ask for many people.  In some respects, this is the 'problem' with managing a PLE (however we define these) in an age of hugely scattered identity.  I had this sudden insight last year

( GEISTESBLITZ, (noun, m.) ['gæstes blîts]: literally translated as mind flash, is a sudden insight or idea, often brilliant and unexpected. Consisting of the German words Geist (as in Zeitgeist) and Blitz (as in Blitzkrieg), it is probably best translated into English as brain wave or flash of genius. - this arrived in my e-mail today.  I bet it was in most of yours also.)

I was having trouble with facilitating the use of web 2.0 tools.  I was a bit slow I guess: I now think this was partly because the attitudes and the thinking habits were NOT present.  Like Sally in Peanuts said: "How can I do New maths (Web 2.0) with and Old maths (Web 1.0) mind".  I did some videoing of teachers explaining things in 1999.  They'd miss out a critical step because they just 'assumed' it as being so obvious.  eg.  delicious.  How do you explain tagging?

I've been surprised so few of you posted on your own use of PLE.  We have Ron, Ray and Michelle's contributions and some fragments elsewhere.  Derek's been ill, but he did send this as a suggestion for a ending:

From Derek W: From by dwenmoth on Wednesday, 20 June 2007 3:13:00 p.m.:

I can't help wondering if there might be an opportunity here to pick up on an idea that I think Sylvia and you have each mentioned in earlier posts - that we need to hear more of the 'stories' about how people are using their PLEs - both teachers and students - in order to really begin making sense of what in fact a PLE is or could be.

I've been doing work along these lines in the school sector for a while, where we've seen an enormous uptake of Web2.0 applications by teachers, and where patterns of use are beginning to emerge that, for me, point to understandings of what a PLE might be. Take for instance these two TeacherTube videos that have been created by NZ teachers who I know well and have worked with:

Allanah King - a teacher's journey with Web2.0
http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=93fe8abcfe3ce2003e5c

rachel Boyd - why let our students blog?
http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=be6ec9b852b0a542e2f3

Illustrative stories like these are very useful in helping us "see" what the emerging patterns of behaviour are, and, in turn, think about the conceptual and practical design of the systems we build to support them.

Imagine having some of our tertiary educator colleagues creating similar 'stories' to illustrate? Just a thought.

So onto my second thought: research on PLE's in people
I decided to do some anecdotal research this week. Putting  a PLE lens on, as I wandered around my day job I tried to find out what I could.  The news is NOT good.  Random contacts:
  1. Placing a job advert with student job search: "Oh, no I haven't done it.  I asked if I could fax it in, but they said no, I had to create a user account and fill in a form.  Too much trouble, these things never work for me"
  2. "I lost my password" (Why didn't you just click on the lost password link?) "Oh I thought it was easier to wait until xx came to visit and to get her to help me"
  3. Several people described how they have dabbled (delicious, netvibes etc) and lost passwords, and described their passwords as a mess.  Password management/account management is a big issue.
  4. "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be using delicious for xxx project" (As a result of this call, 9 people and I meet for a show and tell of delicious in 60 minutes)
  5. ""Why didn't you just click on the 'tour' link.  It's there at the top of the screen." (Oh, so that's what a tour is?!!)
  6. 4.00pm.  Panic call.  "I only just got xxx's e-mail to put the brochures in the courier and I've missed the deadline"
  7. "No, I don't read blogs - full of crap"
  8. "No, why should I blog?  If I take three hours to find an article, why should I tell someone else about it?  Literature reviews take a lot of time you know"
  9. "No, we do not need a threaded forum for our dept website.  No-one in this university uses forums" (Oh?  You have talked to all 1134 staff and all 11,000 odd students?)
  10. "I could not ever think of a situation where I would use computers in the seminar room.  I bring my lap top in if I want to use the data projector"
  11. "There are two pages of spam in the wiki.  You need to clean them up now"
  12. "I've signed off all my lists.  I was just getting too many e-mails"
  13. "What is an (e-mail) filter?"
  14. "Yeah, my kids use bebo.  What's it all about?"
  15. "Dad I need your memory stick to take this to school - I can't burn a CD.  The machines have no CD drive".  (And gmail is blocked, the students have no e-mail . . .)
So I guess it's little by little.  If you have somehow missed out on the basics - like attitudes to e-mail (skim/scan, knowing when to go deeper), awareness of filtering (yes, it removes clutter), and passwords (adopt a habit and stick to it, learn to get them if you loose them etc) just to take one little trio, you can be quite unable to move onto some of the other nice things about web 2.0 etc.  True with some students, some workers . .

Sketchy, no-scientific survey no doubt, and I'm sure oyu have a lot of similar stories.

Well, we have a couple of days to follow up on anything you want here. . .  bring closure for now - read the tags you have posted for follow up . .  or just smile and move on to USE your PLE's . . .

And, starting Monday . . . (no doubt Sylvia will send a reminder)
Teaching and Learning Centres
Facilitator: Vivian Neal
This seminar will combine reports and reflections via Vivian's blog on her journey to Universities of Sussex, Dundee and Strathclyde with other stories from the field to learn about the compliment of services various teaching and learning centres provide and how their organizational structures impact the way we go about doing our work.