Posts made by Prince Obiri-Mainoo

Very well illustrated! Thank you Wayne but how does this translate into for the student in the US and the U.S. credentialing system generally? Or phrased differently, how would the Dip in General Arts be seen by a US university that would receive applications from students with this certification in view of the fact that the diploma is not very popular with several US universities? Please, correct me if this assertion is not the case!

Prince
So when you say "OERu credentials should not be based on the same ones as those of the traditional universities" -- do you mean the delivery model associated with traditional face-to-face institutions?

For example, you can earn a degree at Athabasca university without ever visiting the Athabasca university campus in Alberta. There are no admission requirements and Athabasca university learners will be able to "complete" a number of course credits through their prior learning and assessment models thus gaining credit for learning outside the classroom. All the open university anchor partner of the OERu are more open than traditional universities.

While I share most of the views expressed by Yves and also Wayne's explanation above, the problem with majority of traditional universities and employers is seeing degrees awarded by such universities as Athabasca that accept prior learning experiences as sub-standard and therefore when it comes to applying for further studies or jobs it becomes a problem to such applicants. This is especially so with the so-called elite/premier universities in the developing world where I happen to be involved with in the promotion of e-learning, especially by OERu and OERs generally.

I wish that this problem could be addressed as well as we discuss the issue of credentials and accreditation because at the end of the day, the degree should be seen as authentic and of the same standard as the traditional ones and to enable such graduates to gain employment or accepted for further studies.

Prince Obiri-Mainoo

Dear Sylvia and Jesai,

Thanks for another opportunity to be "equipped for service". I am very grateful once again for the chance to learn and to share.

To both new and seasoned SCoPE members, I am the director/resident trainer of the newly-established Pentecost Leadership Training Institute (PLTRC) at Leominster, Massachusetts. PLTRC is a Church of Pentecost USA-Inc. facility that provides theological and other necessary training to both the clergy and lay members of the church.

Prince