Posts made by DR. ILA ALLEN

Jenny,

My GF daughter struggled with reading and it drove her up the wall and her daughter felt the tension.  I told her she needs to be patient and find something that she likes to do and then find a book for it.  Now, I do not have children but I know that if something is hard one needs to ease that person into it.  So many children take time to develop in areas that others excel  (girls faster than boys). Also, the learning space such as school is not always the right place for other kids are cruel (teasing, bullying) and the teacher may not want to take the time when there are a zillion other kids in the classroom.

Kathleen,

I find that interesting with regards to reading.  I know people who literally hate to read and I'm never without my iPad with all of my books.  I have 4 nephews from the age of 7 (twins), 11, and 22 they all love to read.  We all read to them as they were growing up for that is what my mother did we me and my siblings.  So the "right" environment may need to start at home as a foundation and then the child/adult will have that base to go from. Natural learning I think stems from curiosity you know lke the kid who always ask why all the time, tinker with stuff, etc.  Anytime you "force" someone the outcome is not good and it creates a negative experience, hence leading into a negative space. 

Hi Scott,

I thought about your question, designating a space for learning.  I think it may depend on the age and era of the person.  Adult learners vs traditional learners (grammer, HS, etc) all have differenct learning styles and how learning is approached.  Since I have only taught online adults (25+ in age) they tend to find a "space". I look at friends who have school age kids and they seem tobe comfortable doing it on the fy so to speak. I do agree that it is or can be a state of mind and how one needs to position themselves.  

Hi Brenda,

I have read Nonaka and Takeuchi and Ba.  When I first came across it I had to become familiar with the concept. When looking at online communities "space" can be and is every where, any time and place.  Knowledge can be learned, shared, and transfered from person-to-person in whatever space they habitat.  Just my take on it.

Greetings All,

Sorry to be a tad bit late.  I saw this topic and it peaked my interest and will try to catch-up.  I am a doctoral student at Capella University.  I am not familiar with this topic so I will read the materials and looking forward to learning something.

Ciao

ILA