Posts made by Hilda Anggraeni

I agree with your point that now academic activity are not exclusive to what we do inside the university. For me as an interactive art student, a lot of the skill that I have learnt are not coming directly from the lab session or lecture anymore. Most of the time student has to learn on our own to complete the project given out in the course. In most of the cases, I feel that the courses I took is designed for student as a guidelines and information resources and it really is up to the student to take the project for their own exploration. This has worked out pretty well in my school experience but i think sometimes it relied on too much on student's motivation. This is my own perspective from the program I am currently in, will be interesting to know other people's experiences around this topic!  

Hi Irwin,

Welcome to Demistifying the Student Perspective, we're terrific to have you with us! Would you like to share a bit of your own experience as an undergrad student and how teaching and learning has evolved up to now?  

Working with font a lot of time, I'm curious about the use of serif vs sans-serif in print and and on-screen media. Below is a passage I got which explain briefly why we should use sans-serif for on-screen media:

" Text: Serif vs. Sans-Serif

When using fonts on screen, it is important to understand the differences between serif and sans-serif fonts. Serif fonts are the fonts that have little tails— fonts like Times, for example. A sans-serif font, such as Arial, lacks these tails. Due to the effects of anti-aliasing, it is important to try to avoid using serif fonts for on-screen use whenever possible. If the are to be used, they should be used at a size large enough to avoid the problems shown below. "

Resource: http://www.webdesignref.com/examples/textex.htm

Thanks for participating in the elluminate session! We had great discussions in a short amount of time. If you we were not able to attend, don't worry because we will continue the discussion here!

Questions covered in the elluminate session:

GENERAL
- Does hierarchy play role in the classroom does it affect teaching and learning? if yes, how?
- Do you find language barriers a problem in the classroom? If yes, how do you resolve it?
- Does student attendance affect your classroom? Do you use any good strategies to motivate student?
- Can the current teaching and learning practices prepare student Co-op work term/ after graduation?
- How do you accommodate students with different learning habits?

SOCIAL MEDIA
- Do instructors have to be familiar with Social media?
- Can social media help teaching and learning processes?
- How does your current LMS system works for your student (Webct, sakai, etc)?
- Is privacy issue a barrier to use social media to improve teaching and learning?
- Do the class sizes affects communication with student? do you think using social media will bridge the communication better?

COMMUNICATION
- Do you engage student with your course design?
- Does feedback through evaluations improve teaching?

Diana Chan wrote,

I remember for a few computing courses I took, the programs seemed very outdated and I really did not understand why the school was teaching us programming with severely outdated software.

I found this interesting too.. One time I took a course for interface design. This course discuss about how the interface of application can make a big difference for user experience. the design, the efficiency, the clarity, etc. However, the website designated for this course (plain website, and not LMS) doesn't really reflects on the material we are studying.