Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Hi All,

I just bought Curt's MOOCs and Open Education Around the World because I got tired of waiting for him to send me a free signed copy as  he had in the past. Curt has great ideas on how to entertain us as we listen, watch, and hopefully retain some of the information. But then, how important is it to retain information, when it can be easily accessed online? Personally, I prefer the experience and Curt's talks provide me with many. For me, engaging with the information and coming up with new ways of using it is far more important.  

Thank you for organizing the seminar, Sylvia and Sylvia. Great to be back on Scope. I'm looking forward to learning together and seeing what i come up with. 

Here's a bit about me. I like to explore and find ways to make students feel wonderful about themselves. I have over 30 years of learning to teach behind me. I've been using the Internet and whatever was out there in my EFL and ESL classes since 1992. I started in the computer lab and now require students to BTOD. You'd think that after 23 years, that students and teachers would be more open to teaching-learning with the current technology. I'd like to see more openness to the use of technology in high school and higher education as a tool for teaching as a way to learn. I believe that as long as tests drive school, things won't change. 

For more, check me out on google or read this.

Hi Janet and Everyone,

Great to be here. I just came back from a dance in SL for the closing ceremony of SLMOOC14. I teach full time as an EFL teacher in a high school and online in the MA program (Transpersonal Psychnology and Leadership) at Atlantic University. I am also involved in organizing informal educaton MOOCs (Moodle, Second Life, Healthy & Sustainable Living), Blog Festivals (Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall), Online Conferences (CO09-CO15 and MMVC11-14). 

I am very interested in conducting qualitative research on the process of learning and emotions. I have been following the work done by Richard J. Davidson on emotional style (affective Neuroscience) and Kristin Neff on self-compassion. I would like to learn more about meditation and learning and the work done in psychology of mind (Suarez and Mills). 

I would love to collaborate.