Posts made by Michelle Laurie

Hi Jane and hi to Megan who left a side bar comment :-)

Thanks for the feedback, super appreciated. Its always nice to think out loud and see what is resonating or needs more thought when designing a session. 

I'd like to use some of the more experimental LS for other opportunities but was also happy to figure out the plan for this short presentation. I've used it before and I think it can go really well, especially if the host is lively! 

Most of all, what I like about all these tactics is that there is FUN involved. Why should work be boring right? 

Have a great weekend! 

Michelle

One of my clients is a collaborative that works on health and the environment, specifically reducing children's exposure to lead, in a smelter town in BC. There are five meetings a year used to 'report' what is happening. The meeting is a series of power points followed by Q&A. There is not a lot of leeway in the agenda format and the group sits at a huge heavy round board table (about 20 people). In addition to reporting, in September, there has been a request for a short presentation on early childhood development - what is it, why do we work in it and what do we do? In reality it is an underpinning of much of the work and people know a bit but its a great thing its getting air time. Thus, I'd like to make it more interesting than the typical power point. Also, given its about children, it could be a good excuse to be more creative. We have been allocated 20 mins. Possibly we could get 30 mins if needed.

In attempting not to go too crazy with the group, I feel a safe bet could be a celebrity interview. Rather than one celebrity, I suggest a panel of 3-4 people including the public health nurse, community rep who visits homes, the former medical health officer (if he is willing), an ECD expert who also sits on the committee. 

If possible, I'd bring 4 bar stools to the front of the room where the screen is and have the celebrities sit on those so everyone can see them better. 

I'd introduce and start with 3 main questions that are on people's minds. After 10 minutes, I'd give people 1 min on their own to write a question on a 3x5 card. 3 mins to share the question with two others sitting beside/near them. I'd likely ask someone else (depending on numbers) to help sift through them and choose a couple more questions to ask. 

I might end by asking each celebrity to provide their top of mind answer to what should we remember from this conversation tonight from their perspective? Or I could simply give a thank you and let people know that if they have further questions, we are available and can follow up. 

I would also produce a 1 page handout to give some basic information to everyone that they can take with them and we could share so committee members have a similar baseline knowledge on the topic. 

I am totally open to changing this idea to a different LS. Your comments are welcome! 

Michelle

Now what????

• Be more mindful of including principles of LS and some of the patterns/themes in my work more generally. 
  • Propose the session designed here to the team that is going to be delivering it. 
  • Create more linkages between my existing communities and LS, for example by including some LS (via some local practitioners) in my upcoming graphic facilitation workshop either via embedding LS into existing visual exercises and/or a separate taster evening between day 1 and day 2.
  • Be more open to online experiences! 
Thank you to Leva and Beth for modelling great facilitation and for BC Campus for hosting these free and wonderful online courses. What an amazing opportunity you provide. I am grateful as it encouraged me to partake. 

Good luck to everyone....I'm sure we will meet again on the LS journey!  

• What is important to you about what you experienced designing with LS this week?

I realized that I likely can't shift the structure of the meeting I was planning on its head. Thus I chose a 'safe to fail' LS that would give people a taste of what it feels like to be engaged and also have a little fun without stretching them way out of the comfort zone. 

• What meaning are you drawing?

So I guess I realized LS can go as far as we want to take it in terms of 'liberation'. Or perhaps liberation is different for everyone depending on where you already sit on the spectrum. 

• What assumptions did you make or hold about LS or teaching/facilitating with LS?

I assumed it will be easy but I think not everything is easy and not everyone is ready for it. There needs to be a level of trust and wanting to truly engage people for a lot of these techniques to be meaningful. 

• Do you notice any patterns or themes?

I notice that there are a lot of similarities in this to Art of Hosting methods, Open Space and old school rural development methods of 'handing over the stick'. Basically getting others to do the heavy lifting and simply creating the space to do it. 

• What conclusions are emerging?
Don't call it LS. 

Embed the philosophy into what you can! 

• I experienced an online facilitated course over one week (one of my first like this). 
  • I struggled to keep up with the daily check in/ work however I was impressed at the amount of participation as well as depth by others. 
  • I got inspired by the interest of others in LS and seeing/reading how it is being applied in real situations (thank you!)
  • I planned a session using LS for a meeting I have coming up. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing so openly!