Posts made by David Brear

SCoPE: Seminars -> ePortfolios: May 31-June 13, 2010 -> ePEARL

by David Brear -
I found this site very recently. I feel it is worthy to look at in light of our discussions. It is being developed by Concordia University, Montreal.

From the ePEARL web site :

ePEARL -
is a free, bilingual, web-based electronic portfolio software. Based on sound research evidence, coupled with feedback from the field, ePEARL has been designed to encourage self-regulation in learners within student-centred curricula.

ePEARL promotes:

• Goal Setting: Creating general learning goals for a term or year, as well as task goals for a specific artifact.
  • Reflection on the process and finished product.
  • Feedback from peers, parents and teachers on the portfolio as a whole or on a specific artifact.
There is a short introductory video as well

What I found most beneficial about using ePortfolios in my teaching was mainly getting to know my students better. I learned more about them and what was important to them. Their enthusiasm to share was contagious. Other students took interest in what others were doing. It was overall, a very positive experience.

I hope you find the resource I compiled interesting and beneficial,

Dave
Catherine, in answer to your questions:

I started using the concept of ePortfolios with my Grade 2/3 class in 1997-98. We called it " My Year in Review". The students through a HyperStudio stack template that I created with their input, filled in the template talking about their school work, including scanned art work, journal entries and their voice recordings of a reading of their choice. Each student in each was sent home with their "Year in Review" on a disc with an IBM or Mac HyperStudio driver.

I used the idea again with my Grade 8's at Banting Middle School from 2000 - 2006. This time we used HyperStudio, iMovie and the Web page design to talk about their year.

I brought the concept to a course I taught at UBC in the Summer of 2004. Here is an example of what one student created for the course, Kevin McIntyre's Digital Portfolio, from UBC EDUC 490A, Summer, 2004, with permission.

I created an ePortfolio resource site in the Spring of 2005. You can take a look at "Developing Student Electronic Portfolios". I hope you find the information interesting and relevant.

The reason the above happened was that it was my belief then that my students would be creating electronic portfolios for university and job applications today. I feel I am right.

It is exciting to be able to share today what I was doing a few years ago. We are in an exciting age and I hope we will see the day when each child entering school will create a living portfolio that will grow with them as they continue their journey through school, university and into the work place.

Dave Brear