Posts made by Cynthia Alvarado

A couple of more multimedia web applications come to mind as having these extra layers. One is Capzles ,which allows for a multimedia, group created timeline. The second is the Avnet Technology Museum in Second Life which allows for virtual 3-D exploration of many early technology artifacts.

How true. Being a good teacher has to do with thinking and understanding the learning process, the needs of students and the material to be presented. Adding technology will not make a bad teacher into a good one. In the hands of a skilled teacher, however, technology, properly used can help make the learning process more interactive and understandable. The key to the process is the teacher's skill, not the technology itself. By the way Dominic, I love the picture.
Nice first draft of this topic. What I notice most about it is that while these things hold true from f:f and other types of activities, the feed back loop in SL comes primarily from interaction with others and their reaction to your avatar, construction, presentation, etc. Re: issue 3, I think SL tends to be more of a level vs. a hierarchical environment. Avatars have a pretty level playing field, as most cannot really be identified by age, education or even gender, really. Some of us spend more lindens on appearance than others, but it is not directly related to expertise. Outside of your institution's space, no one really knows who the "experts" and who the "learners" are.