Discussions started by Heather Ross

Welcome to the seminar on Viral Professional Development (VPD). Before we delve into VPD itself, we would like to know a bit about each of you.

Where do you work and what is your position there?

Through what methods do you receive / take part in professional development?

What methods are working and which ones aren't?

We hope that you enjoy this seminar and come away with some new ideas about your own professional development, that of your coworkers and those you may deliver training to.

Welcome.
I didn't notice a wiki set up yet for this forum, but I wanted to point you to some great resources and examples of blogs in education.

Kathy Cassidy is a teaching in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. She is doing some amazing work. This is her class blog.

Edublogs provides free blogs for teachers and K-12 students.

Alec Couros has a wonderful wiki called Digital Literacy and Emerging Educational Technology. This is the page on blogs. Here you'll learn what blogs are and find links to examples and resources for blogging.

Finally, if you're doing anything with Web 2.0 in your classrooms, Will Richardson's blog is a must to follow. His book is also a wonderful resource.

While these links only scratch the surface of what's out there I think they're a great place to start.
As this discussion comes to the end, I would like to thank all of you for such a wonderful and lively conversation on open source. We raised a lot of issues and shared some wonderful resources.

For a parting gift for all of you, I came across a nifty little open source application yesterday for pre-production media project. Check out Celtx (Windows, Mac and Linux).

And thank you again for the wonderful discussion.
My fellow open-source evangelist Alec Couros, pointed me towards this article on the MyVoIPnews blog, "Forty foundations for the future of open source".

If you want to forecast the future of a philosophy or technology, you need look no further than the world of academia. What those who learned yesterday impart to today’s students will shape tomorrow. And in open source, there appear to be infinite tomorrows, with open source projects being undertaken by East Coasters like MIT, West Coasters like UCB and everyone else in between. Herewith, forty projects underway right now featuring students building the world of the future. This article is in the same vein as 50 Open Source success stories in Business, Education, and Government.

The article then goes on to list 40 open source projects, mostly connected to educational institutes. I thought this would be an appropriate link to add to our discussion.

This question popped into my head after reading Bruno Vernier's post.

The one that comes to mind for me is patents and subsequent lawsuits like the attack from WebCT/Blackboard against Desire2Learn. While Blackboard has indicated that they will not go after open source, I don't know how long they will hold to that view. I think that the outcome of their case against Desire2Learn make have an impact on the software industry in general.

What are your thoughts on this?
What other things do you think might pose a threat to the growing open source movement?