Posts made by Glenn Groulx

I think that offering learners an activity to track back their own reflections from the outset of an independent project/assignment to follow their own lines of thought and activities, their strategies and outcomes, would require them to "learn by thinking back, then thinking forward" to apply their learning to new learning trajectories/goals. The assignment/project might have started as a prescriptive, pre-set goal assigned by an instructor, but as the student follows back their incidental learning paths from the past to the present, the emergent learning that occurred alongside the prescriptive learning becomes clearer, and this lays the transformational learning framework needed for learners to more proactively engage in a different perspective towards learning: creating improved current learning pause-points to better keep track of their learning journeys for future reference.

This was my own perspective as I began to be more retrospective and future-oriented, more aware of the impact of my work on self and others. It informed me better of how to add details, tags, commentaries, links, etc, to embed more context and make it essentially more meaningful for me at some future point in time when needed.

Hello, I am really interested in the Clusters and Factors in the first article, as it has kick-started my own thinking in how to provide mentoring for newcomers remotely as they engage in developing a portfolio for language learning. For now, many of the clients express interest in developing English language skills for the workplace, at a high-intermediate level.

I had been involved in a blogging apprenticeship through Athabasca University (online MDE program) as an independent student. I transitioned through four semesters of blogging in different contexts (cohort, seminar, independent studies, and cooperative learning) over 15 months, and I think that learning experience has influenced me to replicate that kind of emergent, transformative learning.

I am interested in developing a settlement blogging community for Internationally Trained Individuals (ITIs) and settlement agencies. Though there is some established content, sites, and common pathways, there is room for blending emergent learning with prescriptive learning, .

There already exists a lot of online resources that can be introduced to ITIs(Common issues for newcomers include credential recognition, community connections, finding employment, language skills, workplace culture,)

What is not clear, and does not lend itself well to a prescriptive approach, is the ways that a newcomer will sort through, collect, and navigate these resources.

Underlying this is a way to plan for emergent learning by introducing a sampling of exemplars, self-evaluations, links for exploration, all with a "mesh" or a series of prescriptive interventions that guide client learners to build sense-making and way-making skills.

I think that offering learners an activity to track back their own reflections from the outset of an independent project/assignment to follow their own lines of thought and activities, their strategies and outcomes, would require them to "learn by thinking back, then thinking forward" to apply their learning to new learning trajectories/goals. The assignment/project might have started as a prescriptive, pre-set goal assigned by an instructor, but as the student follows back their incidental learning paths from the past to the present, the emergent learning that occurred alongside the prescriptive learning becomes clearer, and this lays the transformational learning framework needed for learners to more proactively engage in a different perspective towards learning: creating improved current learning pause-points to better keep track of their learning journeys for future reference.

This was my own perspective as I began to be more retrospective and future-oriented, more aware of the impact of my work on self and others. It informed me better of how to add details, tags, commentaries, links, etc, to embed more context and make it essentially more meaningful for me at some future point in time when needed.

Hello, I am really interested in the Clusters and Factors in the first article, as it has kick-started my own thinking in how to provide mentoring for newcomers remotely as they engage in developing a portfolio for language learning. For now, many of the clients express interest in developing English language skills for the workplace, at a high-intermediate level.

I had been involved in a blogging apprenticeship through Athabasca University (online MDE program) as an independent student. I transitioned through four semesters of blogging in different contexts (cohort, seminar, independent studies, and cooperative learning) over 15 months, and I think that learning experience has influenced me to replicate that kind of emergent, transformative learning.

I am interested in developing a settlement blogging community for Internationally Trained Individuals (ITIs) and settlement agencies. Though there is some established content, sites, and common pathways, there is room for blending emergent learning with prescriptive learning, .

There already exists a lot of online resources that can be introduced to ITIs(Common issues for newcomers include credential recognition, community connections, finding employment, language skills, workplace culture,)

What is not clear, and does not lend itself well to a prescriptive approach, is the ways that a newcomer will sort through, collect, and navigate these resources.

Underlying this is a way to plan for emergent learning by introducing a sampling of exemplars, self-evaluations, links for exploration, all with a "mesh" or a series of prescriptive interventions that guide client learners to build sense-making and way-making skills.

My name is Glenn Groulx. I am an adult literacy educator at a college in Prince Rupert, in Northwest BC. I have been developing blended courses using social networks. I have been using a combination of blogs, wikis, twitter, with tweetdeck and netvibes. For my professional development, I maintain a blog within the Landing at Athabasca University and a personal wordpress edublog.

I look forward to learning more about using the methods for online interview research to develop a community online of students and organizations in the northwest region.

Looking forward to reading and learning.

Glenn Groulx