Mobile Learning in Developing Countries

Re: Mobile Learning in Developing Countries

by Maggie Verster -
Number of replies: 1

Hi All,

I am quite excited about the use of mobile technology for teaching and learning in South Africa. All my rural teachers have cellphones (most of them are wap capable) and I am now busy setting them up with Mxit, which means that we can communicate quickly and very cheaply. They love it and I feel if though I am getting somewhere. For once they are not excluded when it comes to sharing (at the very least news and events)

We also have Dr Maths on Mxit which is a homework tutor system run by a wonderful lady Laurie and a few students. The kids seem to have really taken to this as well. See my blog: Cellphones in Education

Another innitiative is Mobi, a low subscription homework system for learners.The uptake seems to be quite significant as well. See Mobi - world first for mobile maths education

In reply to Maggie Verster

Re: Mobile Learning in Developing Countries

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Maggie,
Thank you for sharing.

Mark your calendars for Saturday November 3rd, 2007 at Knowplace for a live presentation by Ken Banks on mobile phones. The presentation will be at 12 noon Pacific time. You will get a chance to ask questions and add your comments. More details will be available on Facebook.