Introduce yourself!

Re: Introduce yourself!

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Jeffrey,
I read you many energizing posts over the past 2 days. I am interested in reading about your development and your focuses of interest over time, as well as Janet's and others. Thanks for sharing you blog site and twitter.

You mention "what's in it for me" as an important part of motivation. I think this is a short reward and a long career reward point, especially in business and research efforts. Researchers need something to keep engaged too.

If I've only got so many questions to research in my life, what are the most important ones that I can tackle and how? What makes it worth my time beyond a dissertation or master's thesis work?

Technology will likely facilitate some areas of research that were not that available before. I hope Janet's book will save me time and mistakes (although they are always ways to learn). Will the new technological advantages help some kinds of interviews, but not others? I need some practical focus.

Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Jo Ann-

I find that I tend to do a lot of posts and otherwise catch-up with participation in large chunks, and then a move on to other tasks. Now, after a few days of working on my own research, I am now able to come back to our work here and reply / offer some thoughts, especially now that there have been a lot of responses to everything that seems to be happening.

I like your questions, which are certainly among the ones that seem to captivate many of us here in this session. Regarding the one about technology, I think some of the interesting tension occurs when we explore how technologies allow us to do what we have always done, but do it in a new way (such as online interviewing rather than only face-to-face). The flip is when we use technologies to do entirely new things that we never considered doing before (such as having an asynchronous workshop here).

Jeffrey

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Jeffrey,
I think if I had had the technology at the level I have today -- when I was younger -- I would have accomplished more "scope" of the land and multi-tasked more.

I think instead of chugging along -- I would have discovered the art of "chunking" as you mention that you work in chunks. I'm tending to get more done, but it is the focus on the collaborative efforts that is helping.

Hope to meet you again on the synchronous today. Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Jo Ann-

I "saw" you in the session yesterday, though no opportunity to chat about it.

Chunking with social networking and this sort of exploration does work well on some levels, such as when I want to catch up on how a discussion has already started to develop. However, I find that I also do not have the sense of consistency or of development itself as an intergration into my week (life), and thus this sort of chunking with social media tends to leave the feeling of a task, rather than an ongoing experience.

Jeffrey