Introduce yourself!

Re: Introduce yourself!

by Moira Hunter -
Number of replies: 2
Hello Janet and everyone,

I'm often a lurker on the great discussions which take place here and this time, I really want to participate actively when and if I can.

I've always been interested in synchronous online communications since doing my Masters a long time ago. This was in fact the last time I did 'official' research. Since then, I have conducted and participated in many online interviews. In the most recent ones, I used Oovoo which has excellent webcam and voice quality.

I am interested in learning about 'cutting edge' technology and methods to collect data from online interviews. The days and weeks of discourse analysis I undertook for my Masters weren't the happiest of memories! One tool I'm always looking for is one which will transcribe the voice interview precisely into text, for example.

After many years of thinking, hesitating and then moving on to other things, I finally decided to do what I always wanted to do - a PhD. So, hello to those here following the programme at Lancaster :-)

My general research area focuses on content integrated language learning in a specific subject matter supported by the medium of 3D immersive virtual world environments.

In reply to Moira Hunter

by Janet Salmons -

Moira,

I agree with Emma as noted below, "listener" is more appropos than "lurker" here wink. Congratulations on making the big decision to move forward with a doctorate. Research in 3D immersive worlds sounds intriguing. As mentioned, I am in the process of setting up an event in the Readers' Garden in 2nd Life, after this event ends. (Stay tuned for details on twitter/einterview or www.vision2lead.com)

Look forward to interacting with you when you choose to participate!

Janet

In reply to Moira Hunter

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Moira-

Welcome to non-lurking status!

Another Lancaster Universty colleague; which cohort are you in?

Jeffrey