Finishing up the seminar

Re: Finishing up the seminar

by Peter Wolf -
Number of replies: 1
Beyond my work with OCAV and the UDLEs, I am also involved in another related initiative that may be of interest and provide other venues in which to collaborate on connect

Myself and a group of others (Teresa Dawson, Arshad Ahmad, Alan Wright, Kathy Schwarcz, Nicola Simmons, and Julie Weible) are hosting an STLHE roundtable discussion at UNB this spring,

"Recognition of Formal Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Faculty Programmes - A Good Idea?"

Abstract:

This session will explore the value, challenges and benefits of developing national recognition of formal faculty development scholarship of teaching and learning programmes at individual institutions for higher learning. We will look at various models of programmes in operation or in development to inform our discussion and develop frameworks that might be useful in recognizing and promoting programmes that meet the needs of their local institutions as well as the national context.

I think the connection to the seminar topic connects directly to this one. I would imagine that the framework you we are talking about here would greatly inform any national recogntion of faculty SOTL programmes offered through teaching centres across the country.

Thoughts?

Peter

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Friday, 20 March 2009, 05:46 AM. Removed Microsoft Word html code)

In reply to Peter Wolf

Re: Finishing up the seminar

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Peter,
Thanks for sharing this Peter.
This conference does sound like an important step for keeping the information and ideas circulating. I think the survey and input from diverse subject/content teaching areas will help too. I like the idea of incentives to improve teacher efforts and some rewards for going beyond -- excellence, being very innovative, mentoring others in teaching standards, and sharing with new teachers about teaching at the post-secondary level.
Jo Ann