Sharing & Feedback

Tatanka take 2

Tatanka take 2

by Barbara Mauter -
Number of replies: 8

Native Mystical Spirit

Oops! Looks like the "Big Beast" photo did not copy...

Tatanka (Ta-tan-ka ) a Lakota word meaning “Big Beast” (we would say a buffalo or actually a bison). For the Northern Plains People a Tatanka meant life. 

This week I would like you to reflect on the resources in this Module (readings and YouTube videos). Was there one you found that challenged or made you re-think your own views of the world? Or perhaps one you found really resonated with you.  

In your response, state which reading or YouTube video you are responding to and share a few of your thoughts (7 – 10 sentences) about why you feel this way. Speak to what you find you are struggling with or why you feel this connection. (This is a post before viewing Discussion Board).*

Your initial post is due by 11:59 PM Thursday.  By Sunday, end of day, return and thoughtfully respond to at least two of your peers to potentially earn full points.

In reply to Barbara Mauter

Re: Tatanka take 2 Notes....

by Barbara Mauter -

Hi all

If you have time a a Friday afternoon... please review and make comments. I have revised my initial post based on feedback received. Appreciate the suggestions and ideas.

*I really strive to include critical thinking in my courses. As the semester begins, I share with students, there are really no wrong or right answers in the course. I am looking for what their thoughts are and throughout the semester if has learning taken place.

FOOTNOTE: This is a "first run" of this course so I know there are "bugs" I will need to work out. I am now re-thinking and revising some on my Discussion Boards based on ideas gathered in this course! THANK YOU!

I always solicit comments and feedback from my students concerning my courses. I am willing to revise and re-look. I believe we all learn together : )

Babs/ Barbara

by Elena Felgar -

Hi Barbara,

I really appreciate the specific criteria you have provided in terms of length of response and timeframe. This clear expectation is so helpful and respectful of the learners. 

Not knowing the material you are asking learners to respond to, I might suggest giving a few more prompts in the questions for both the response to course materials as well to fellow classmates. Specifically, I am wondering if all students will have the reaction of feeling either challenged or connected to the material. Might they have unanswered questions? Things that are unclear or areas they want to explore further? That might be a place to start (reactions of all of the above, including feeing challenged or connected) and then asking them to reflect why they think they had that response. I also wonder if asking them to try to capture their very first thoughts after reviewing course material. That response may be more genuine and less filtered. 

I am curious to see what you use! It all sounds fascinating!

In reply to Elena Felgar

by Barbara Mauter -
Hi Elana

Some background for this Module we explored the "Circle of Life" the ways in which Native Americans viewed/ still view the interconnections of all life. I based the discussion on short  videos of interviews with Indigenous people talking about their life, one on the Hopi Creation Myth. I also included a quote from Black Elk (where he talks about the circular nature of the world).

I believe, from the responses I have received in this discussion board my students are seriously re-thinking their views of the world. Several spoke about how "in general" many people have discounted the need or importance of respecting the water and land. 

The original post of this is what students responded to. I am keeping a copy of the suggested revisions. Plus will keep these thoughts in mind for upcoming discussion boards/ Journals.

So far, I am happy to share the majority of my students have reacted to the activites, some are sharing the connection, while a number are feeling challenged. These students, I sense are "upset" to find they never were taught or learned about the Original People here in the United States. Somehow, I feel my Canadian neighbors are better at teaching and sharing the First Nations history.

I really like your suggestion of "capturing" their first thoughts... wow, powerful!! These could recorded...  Oh my, ideas spill over!!

I know the semester has just started, but still, I will suggest to students that have unanswered questions or desire to learn more (on a deeper level than covered in my course), on a ______ topic, I propose it might be something they would like to explore as their Final Project. Their Final is student driven and rather open (I do post a rubric), they post/ share their Final with the whole class. In past courses, I have had my socks knocked off with their submissions. I feel since it is a topic they are interested in, not assigned, the end results are more than impressive. I also know they have learned more in this process.

Thank you for your positive interest!! I too, am curious as to the outcomes! Hope you have a wonderful semester!

Babs/ Barbara

by Barbara Mauter -

Hello again Rachel

RE: First run... Thank you ever so much!! It is quite exciting!! Maybe I am a bit giddy??!! LOL

At one point, I was told the course might be canceled due to low numbers registered, COVID cutbacks and such... I was quite disappointed, but understood. Then received word my course would not be canceled, it would run!! YEA!!! I ended up picking up an additional 5 students!

Students had contacted me 2 months before the start of the course, asking questions and wondering about books. Their interest has been so encouraging to me; some adrenaline! I believe we are all excited about this course, and my Dean was thrilled with my proposal.

Thank you for all the insights and additional reference materials. I most definitely have gotten something from this Micro-Course!! Actually, all the recent FLO Course have been quite insightful. I leave feeling energized!! Oh my, poor students!! I guess they will just have to respond in kind!!

Again- Thank you!

Babs/ Barbara 

Re: Tatanka take 2

by Norma Sherret -

Hi Babs,

For the life of me, I can't get the annotation to work so here's my two bits.

First, I really want to take this course. I love the idea of exploring world views and considering them within the contexts of the lenses through which I view the world.

A couple of  recommendations:

First, I really appreciate how kind your are in your communication with your students. I feel very welcomed by you and your statement "this week I would like you to..." certainly reinforces your care and concern. However, I wonder if this could suggest to students that you would like them to think about these materials but it's not really necessary. I've found that students really want to know what's mandatory and what's not. So, perhaps you might say, "this week, we will be reflecting on..."

Second,is to rephrase the question to your students. Rather than, "Was there one you found that challenged or made you re-think your own views of the world?" how about "Which one stood out for you that challenged you or made you re-think your own views of the world?...or resontated with you...Then you can lead them into the written aspect of the post.

This will eliminate the closed ended response of Yes or No and also indicate to students that the materials were meant to elicit this type of consideration about their own situatedness and how they come to know the world. 

I wish you every success with this course...it sounds fantastic!

Norma

In reply to Norma Sherret

by Barbara Mauter -

Hi Norma

I understand, I too struggle with technology some days more than others.

Thank you!! Good point! We will... more revisions!! If I remember correctly, I may had started with, we read about... "Thought Woman" this week.

I follow what you are saying, I should rephrase in order to have my students focus on the crux of the discussion. Thus thwarting a quick response post.

Quite a complement, you would like to take this course!! : ) THANK YOU!! I am excited and hope it continues to go as well as it has started!

Do have a wonderful semester filled with learning!

Babs/ Barbara

by Barbara Mauter -

Thank you Rachel

Sorry. In my revision I left out the initial information I had included:

HOW: In the Discussion Board Thread, I began with a question from a textbook. But, I have expanded upon this. I added the Lakota word / meaning and a photo for interest. The videos included are short interviews with Indigenous people talking about their life, one video is the Hopi Creation Myth. I also included a quote from Black Elk (where he talks about the circular nature of the world).

This Module explored the "Circle of Life" the ways in which Native Americans viewed/ still view the interconnections of all life.  I believe, from the responses I have received in this discussion board my students are seriously re-thinking their views of the world. Several spoke about how "in general" many people have discounted the need or importance of respecting the water and land.

Hopefully this now makes more sense now and you see where I was coming from.

Babs/ Barbara

by Khairunnisa Ali -

Hi Barb

I was trying to do a margin note but it was too long. 

My comment was around 2 points

1. It's great they are getting to pick what stood out or challenged them

2. Separate idea but could you in this prompt also ask them if the concept of Tatanka exists in their cultural upbringing and only if they feel it does, as they may not. Just another thought to have the make that connection.

Otherwise, it seems the prompt does meet the criteria we were given in terms of the remaining pieces. 

Guiding questions:

• Does this discussion prompt compel you to participate? (Feel free to jump into the role of participant!)
  • **** really like that I would get to pick what stood out to me and freely discuss it without the theory per se, at this point and go in either the direction of what challenged me or what I related to.
  • Are you clear how to contribute to the discussion?  
  • *** Very clear on how to reply, even that I need to post first. In the reply phase, could there  maybe be encouragement to see some peers's posts for common responses or their questions and share their thoughts on the ones that feel they have more to offer for. Your instruction is clear but just another way to make them think about it. Or one they feel they can relate to and one that feel they want to ask more about, etc. Just some thoughts. I am not sure, I'd have to experiment and see how it went. 
  • Would you feel motivated to continue to engage in this discussion after your initial reply?  Possibly. 
  • Do you have any other creative ideas about how this prompt could have been approached differently?
  • ***Noted above

Then, use the MicroCourse Feedback Rubric to guide and assess your feedback!