Sharing & Feedback

Motivation and language learning

Motivation and language learning

by Branca Mirnic -
Number of replies: 0

I teach English for Academic Purposes. Sometimes you need to give students a definition or to remind them of the concepts in the class materials. They often write their answers in an online class to check organization, vocabulary, sentence structure in addition to the opinion, but I sometimes ask them to record their answer.

-----prompt------

Intrinsic motivation involves wanting to do something for personal goals such as meeting new people, and growing as a person. Extrinsic motivation involves wanting to do something for practical goals such as finding a higher paying job, winning a prize or avoiding a punishment. Which kind of motivation is better for language learning? Provide an example to illustrate your response.

-----prompt------

In the discussion forum instructions I would  ask students to answer the question by Wednesday evening, read all postings and comment on at least two of the classmates' posts before Friday's class. I will also set up Brightspace by D2L "Must Post First" to prevent them from reading (or viewing) other posts before submitting their own. I will also have a rubric which serves as a guide to write (or record) and as an evaluation.

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Tuesday, 25 August 2020, 9:54 AM - edited to highlight which part of this post is the actual prompt )