Open Forum

Are any of the videos available with captioning?

Are any of the videos available with captioning?

by Arley Cruthers -
Number of replies: 6

I can only work when my toddler is asleep, so I prefer to watch videos with the sound off. Is captioning available for any of the videos?

In reply to Arley Cruthers

Re: Are any of the videos available with captioning?

by Sylvia Currie -

I was wondering that as well, Arley -- thinking more about accessbility than keeping noise levels down. 

We're using Kaltura and so far I don't see an automated captioning feature. I'll keep looking though! 

Meanwhile, I hope you have a headset or earbuds. 

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Emily Schudel -

Hi!  I had the same question.  For the Kaltura instance we have at our institution, we have auto-CC turned on and then, knowing the accuracy is not 100%, we can edit them.  I have difficulty listening to a video without CC so it would be good if these could be added - I really struggle when so much content is only in audio format.  If I were hearing impaired I would be hooped for this course.

Thanks!

Emily

In reply to Emily Schudel

by Arley Cruthers -

Yes, adding closed captioning in Kaltura is fairly easy now. I can listen with headphones, but since I need to keep an ear out for my kid, I end up with having only 1 earbud in, which means I'm trying to listen to the video with one ear and hear my toddler singing songs with the other ear. Not the best learning experience! I try to teach students that the best stories are the ones everyone can enjoy.

In reply to Arley Cruthers

by Denise Withers -

We're just working on the Introduction video now - should be available shortly.

In reply to Denise Withers

by Denise Withers -
Closed captioning is now on the Introduction video.
In reply to Denise Withers

by Emily Schudel -

Thanks Denise!  This is great.

Emily