Take five minutes and post as many ideas as you can about how to teach with stories below. Your job is to come with with at least 10.
Then review the ideas of others and see if you can build on them.
This is going to become your Teach with Stories repository - a place to go to when you need to create a new activity. So let’s make it a rich one!
Story Ideas for Teaching
My students are ESL learners. Ideas I use to teach with stories are:
Ask students to
- Ask students think of something they saw on their way to class
- Ask why the event/thing is interesting to them
- Campfire game. Sitting in a circle one person starts with a sentence, then the next person continues with another sentence until everyone in the circle has a turn or the story ends.
- In the workplace, I ask students to tell about what they see outside their windows now or show images and tell me what is happening. Why this attract them.
- Mix up sentences in a story and ask students to put the story together.
- Arrange bi-weekly face-to-face tutorial sessions to answer questions about stories.
- Create an atmosphere that is more comfortable. (Learning commons area)
- Short videos from the National Film Board of Canada with and without captions (subtitles) Example: https://www.nfb.ca/film/from_far_away/
- Create a learning journal with photos
- Create a short skit for the final assignment
- Ask students to reflect and share on what they feel they learned the past week/month
Sorry! wrong location. I reposted.