New to this topic? What are your questions?

Re: New to this topic? What are your questions?

by Karen Baker -
Number of replies: 0

Thanks, Scott, for your response and request to others on my behalf.  The two references you provided on Connexions are in the right ball park.  If I may take a moment to explain, my area prepares graduate students for leadership positions for post-secondary or tertiary education institutions rather than elementary and high schools.  These graduate programs provide knowledge and teach the applications of the history and philosophies of higher education in the U.S. (primarily), organizational and leadership theories, adult student development and support services, and multicultural issues impacting leadership and influencing the ways in which we work with adult students. 

Because the U.S.A. has a fundamental value that every citizen should be able to go to college, our system of postsecondary education is diverse to meet the needs of an even more diverse population.  The Intute Gateway reference you also listed is interesting because it provides me a peek into what postsecondary leaders in other countries do and how they administer at their colleges, universities, polytechnics, vocational schools, etc.  I hope this further explanation is helpful.  For additional data on the U.S. educational system, see: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/progressing.doc.