Ross' LS Activity

Ross' LS Activity

by Ross McKerlich -
Number of replies: 3

Background: We are designing faculty workshops for the fall and targeting new faculty who are busy surviving and do not have a lot of time for learning. Our goal is to have the learning activity duration between 20 and 30 min.  So time was my first consideration in looking through the LS menu. After identifying about 5 possibilities I landed on Improv Prototyping. 

My area is education technology, which we describe as applying technology to learning.

Invitation

We welcome you to Act Out!

For this activity we need some players. Come on up here to the stage. Your task - should you choose to accept it - is to act out the most challenging experience of using technology for learning since the beginning of the semester. The player roles are one student, one new professor and one colleague who has been teaching longer.

The scene plays out - 3-5 minutes

Small observer groups pull out what they saw -  1 minute for self reflection, 2 minutes for  pair discussion, 2 min for foursome discussion (if numbers allow)., 2 minutes for big group discussion). This is a modification of the 1-2-4-all 7 minutes

Each observer group then does their own improv on that same challenge and tries to improve on that experience 5 min.

Ask for volunteers to act out the “improved” challenge in front of the larger group 5 min.

Debrief 5 min.

An example might be setting up a grade book, using classroom technology etc. Often these are process related and by seeing the process acted out it may point to easier processes or solutions to common challenges that we may not know even existed.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Ross

In reply to Ross McKerlich

Re: Ross' LS Activity

by Jane Maxwell -

Hi Ross,

This sounds like a fun way to engage instructors who have limited time to connect with support/PD!

I have a clarifying question for you (feel free to respond as soon as you have time, if this isn't breaking the rules of the activity):  What is your most important goal for the session?  I can see this activity offering benefits in many areas (building community, exploring new technologies, generating solutions, ....), but I'm not clear on your top priority.

More feedback to follow,

Jane

by Michelle Laurie -

Hi Ross, 

I think you chose a really fun activity to help break the ice with new staff and dig right into challenges and solutions! I might have a few scenarios on hand in case people don't have one to provide. Though I imagine most people will easily come up with something. 

In terms of feedback, I'd say watch the clock, give people 2 min warnings for when they are in small groups and let them know in advance the activity is supposed to be fast so its okay if it feels that way. 

For the debrief you could do a what, so what, now what or ....general round of comments perhaps inviting people to share one tip they gained through the session.  

What additional feedback are you looking for? 

Great job and impressed you did it on time too!!

Michelle

by Jane Maxwell -

As promised, here's some additional feedback:

I'm going to focus on the goal that you identified in your final paragraph, where you say that you hope the activity will "point to easier processes or solutions to common challenges that we may not know even existed."

If this is the priority, I think it would be helpful to dedicate a few minutes to the process of identifying participants' challenges with using technology for learning.  Given the short time frame, perhaps it's a quick (5 min) round of impromptu networking as folks arrive (when you'd normally be waiting for stragglers)?  Or, you could have some challenges written on a whiteboard/sheet and invite participants to add their own as they arrive and add stars next to the ones that are relevant to them?  I know that time is TIGHT, but identifying a challenge that people are invested in will make everything that follows more impactful.

I do love the use of improv for this activity because it will allow folks to have fun and it definitely won't feel like just another meeting/workshop to add to everyone's busy day.  We're always trying to find ways to promote instructor wellness through our PD offerings and I think ideas like this can make a big difference. :)