2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

Re: 2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 1

I decided on a story model, thought about my characters and got a start on a script. I'm sharing a few lines to give the gist of where I'm heading.

=======

The recent report tracking online and distance education in Canada showed that in British Columbia 76% of the institutions consider online learning strategically important for their future.  

Nation-wide, institutions reported that the most significant barrier to the adoption of online learning was the additional faculty effort required to develop or deliver online courses. This was considered important or very important by 85% of responding institutions. This was followed closely by inadequate training/pedagogical knowledge available for faculty in online learning. 

Dr. Lauren Phillips highlighted these areas of the report and set out to learn what her college had in place to support faculty in the transition to teaching online. She discovered the Teaching & Learning centre had scheduled something called a MicroCourse during the reading break. It would be online and open to faculty across disciplines at the college. Lauren popped into the centre to learn more and found the instructional designers and faculty development instructors around a table having a planning meeting.

Lauren: That’s wonderful to hear that you are developing these courses! We need our faculty to really experience an online course before they can be expected to teach online. Do you have plans for more?

Jan: Oh, we’re not developing them. They’re available from BCcampus. We just uploaded the course and plan to tweak it a bit for our offering. 

Lauren: Really? You make it sound so easy! Did you need to take a course to learn how to do all this?

Jan: We’ve been taking all the FLO Family courses. I think we’re prepared for anything now!

Lauren: What are family courses?

Jan: Haha FLO stands for Facilitating Learning Online. The courses are affectionately referred to as a “family” because we all learn together and support each other. 

... to be continued :)   

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: 2. Share Your Script or Storyboard

by Jamie Billingham -

Hey Sylvia,

I missed this post on Friday - so sorry :-/

The conversation part looks cool - have you thought about doing the whole thing as a conversation? Or a news report? Or something to make the first minute (163 words) more hooky?

One of the reasons for using explainer videos is to help with this exact kind of content. My fish brain didn't get past the second paragraph - so 10 seconds of reading it and I was daydreaming - ok, it is Sunday and that could be part of it lol

Para 1 and 2 will be easy to add graphics to and those will help folks stay tuned in. Para 3 may take a bit of work though. You could try to move more of the info in para 3 into the conversation section.

K, that's my 2 cents - or 5 cents - 'cos of the whole no more pennies thing :- )

jamie