Leonne's draft Philosophy of Teaching

Re: Leonne's draft Philosophy of Teaching

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 1

hi Leonne,

Like Sylvia, I was nodding the whole time I read your TPS draft. I couldn't agree more with your recommendations for how to work with ABE learners.  I think this draft could be worked into an 'orientation to teaching ABE level Math' & could be offered to anybody who's been hired for this kind of work. Heck, I think it should be mandatory for anybody who has never taught ABE math before!

I don't think it quite captures your philosophy though. I'm thinking about when I was hired last year to teach a section of ABE Math for UFV. Working off by myself in Hope, I wasn't sure about the UFV culture or the way ABE math had been taught there in the past. I was starting out with the directions I could find in the various assessment materials (marking guides, Chapter tests etc.) which seemed (to me) to be a bit strict for ABE students.

You were an immeasurable help to me! You explained (patiently & sometimes more than once) how YOU interpreted the assessment directions, "bent the rules" or even ignored them when the situation required it. Based on my interactions with you, I'd say a big part of your underlying philosophy was COMPASSION for the students & their struggles. You obviously liked the math & understood its importance & its potential for your students but it was clear to me that compassion for your students underlined everything you did. 

You were very compassionate to me, too, as a newbie in the UFV system! :)

Anyway... I hope that's not too personal ... I'm glad for an opportunity to thank you once again for your past help.

In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Leonne's draft Philosophy of Teaching

by Leonne Beebe -

Gina,

You are welcome. You received what you have given to others. You and Sylvia have raised interesting points about me not showing up in my statement.  When I respond to student posts, I deliberately write to the student about their content, and I don't put in what I think because it's about them and not me. Now you both have me rethinking. Along with compassion, I would add valuing and validating  your students for who they are and what can do now  and for what their potential can be.

Oh, for more time before tomorrow comes.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne