Janna's initial list of ideas

Re: Janna's initial list of ideas

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Janna, thanks for posting!

Funny how work and family involvements so easily expand to fill the entire 24 hours (sometimes seems even more) of every day. I'm semi-retired now & thought I'd finally have lots of time but family, work, & community obligations continue to spill into every available minute it seems. 

It sounds like you are already developing your own multi-tool collection of community-building ideas. I know you are new(ish) to online teaching/facilitation but the fact that you are not new to caring about your students, that you "like to create opportunities to hear from everyone in the room about themselves" is a great starting point. The challenge, of course, is to figure out how to make that happen when we're not all together in the same room...  Because you enjoyed the video introductions in FLO Fundamentals, that makes it a good activity to try -- not least because you appreciated its value & can genuinely communicate that enthusiasm to your online students.

I don't know if you've had time to check out Colleen's post in the Open Forum but she (& others) have been reflecting on some really key questions:  Once you have your community-building activity in place, how will you encourage participation? Will you require participation (e.g. by grading community participation)?