Weekly Check-in Check List

Re: Weekly Check-in Check List

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 2

hi Leonne

I felt angry reading about the teammate who contacted you "with a blast highlighted in red" & I sense my impulse to want to teach this person some manners (silly, I know, & it's not as if this approach would do any good).  

But IMO your post illustrates such a strong core reason for developing a sense of genuine community: we do it because it creates a safe, supportive environment for learning, & because engaged, connected students are more likely to stay the course. And because it's the kind thing to do.

At College of the Rockies, we had an informal "Lost Souls" policy. It went something like this: if you haven't seen your online student log in by the end of the first week, contact them (preferably by phone in case there's a problem with internet connection). And if you don't hear from them for over 2 weeks, contact them. Most instructors did this anyway but the occasional instructor would actively resist with the argument: "My students are adults & if they don't bother to participate in the class, that's their problem." My return argument was "Caring about and contacting your students is also adult behaviour" ... but this was not always effective. :-/

I like your checklist approach! It is simple, definitely not intimidating (even to a student with weak technical skills), communicates your concern while keeping the onus for contact with the student. This would be a great way to maintain contact even with students in asynchronous self-paced online programs -- notoriously hard to build community in those settings.

In reply to Gina Bennett

by Leonne Beebe -

Gina,

I did react to her blast for a bit and thought how would I feel if I were a first time student.  Interestingly, after the teacher talked about problems with group work, and we took our break, that student left and sent our group an email saying she had withdrawn from the course. It may have been a coincidence.

You are right in saying our online learning communities need to be safe, supporting, and encouraging.  As facilitators, we have this opportunity and responsibility to build, maintain and sustain our course communities. Now, we need to get more "ideal" FLO into our online courses.

Out of confusion comes clarity.

Leonne

In reply to Gina Bennett

by Beth Cougler Blom -

I really like this informal 'lost soul's' policy...and the name. I have called it 'going dark' and absolutely believe what you do, that reaching out is a caring thing to do. Often it reveals that someone is experiencing a tough time right then - and they usually really appreciate the reach-out.