Metaphors for emergent learning

Re: Metaphors - light - for emergent learning

by Roy Williams -
Number of replies: 1

Elegant analysis, thanks. 

So, mathematics is an infitite set of transformational metaphor processes /structures /tools, sometimes linked to other (less abstract, bu possibly equally complex) practices?

My first insight into metaphor was from my philosophy lecturer, who said they are 'deliberate category mistakes' - precisely a near-boundary / edge of chaos tools, and his favourite metaphor (and one of mine too) is a fruity one, see here ... 

In reply to Roy Williams

Re: Metaphors - light - for emergent learning

by Maria Droujkova -

Neat example. As a funny aside (the example's not about it), in affluent societies, food is easier to come by than sex, so food usually serves as the metaphor source, and the relationship as a fantacized target. It can be the other way around in different circumstances. 

Yes to math as an infinite set of human-made processes, structures, tools, and practices, with everyone invited to make their own. However, if you don't adhere to past practices, others may not care about the math you make. As usual, it's harder for some populations (kids, women...) to change practices. Ironically, it's very important for kids' learning and development to create their own math in their early years - the time the world typically gives kids the least opportunity to do so. And in many countries, it's still harder for a woman to publish a math article than it is for a man.