Metaphors for emergent learning

Re: Metaphors for emergent learning

by Scott Johnson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Barbara,

How does a student experience a class? The footprint seems like good way to record a student response--better than surveys. Learning that is expressive needs a place to live in the students' experience. And be recorded somehow.

Just reading a bit on Rudolf Arnheim at:

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2007/06/15/simplicity-clarity-balance-a-tribute-to-rudolf-arnheim/

"This discovery of the gestalt school fitted the notion that the work of art, too, is not simply an imitation or selective duplication of reality but a translation of observed characteristics into the forms of a given medium (Film as Art, 3).

The Gestalters thought that these principles–figure/ground, completeness, good continuation, and the like–were fundamental to all human perception, across times and cultures. Art and Visual Perception makes a powerful case for this view. Today this position is so unfashionable that Arnheim’s calm confidence in it is quite stunning. For many scholars today, all that matters is what divides and differentiates us. But for eighty-plus years Arnheim emphasized ways in which we share a common experience of the world and of art"

In reply to Scott Johnson

Re: Metaphors for emergent learning

by Barbara Berry -

Hi Scott!

Thanks for sending this to me. I absolutely love this and incidently will pass it on to faculty I work wtih in the School of Interactive Arts and Technology here at SFU.

I really appreciate your bridging to the "gestalt" as described in Art and Visual Perception. I have read the blog post and will go back over it again as there are lots of ideas to mull over.

I really believe that "experiencing" is full bodied in the sense that there is somatic, emotive, cognitive, spatial and other dimensions in learning and they all come together as a full package. The footprint seems to alert us to a more wholistic view of what might be happening in a given context and it makes sense that we must pay greater attention to the whole than the parts. 

cheers, 

Barb