Metaphors for emergent learning

Re: Metaphors for emergent learning

by Jenny Mackness -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Barb - many thanks for this considered post. It's really good to know that you have tried drawing a footprint and that you managed it on your own.

One or two people we know have managed to draw their footprint without any discussion with us, by reading what is on the wiki and watching the video - but we know it is not easy and time consuming. Heli Nurmi wrote a series of six blog posts about drawing a footprint (http://helistudies.edublogs.org/). She is now steeped in EdcMOOC so you need to scroll back through the posts to find those about footprints. It would be interestingif you could get your course instructor to draw a footprint and then compare them - but she would need to be prepared to give up a bit of time!

The comment you make about images shaping constructs in the mind is interesting. We thought the images would be helpful, but i now wonder how much they will influence the way people interpret the factors. Interesting thought!

Thanks Barb.

In reply to Jenny Mackness

Re: Open Metaphors?

by Roy Williams -

Jenny, interesting question - how much do the images influence the way people interpret the factors?

As I said elsewhere here, hopefully the images help to keep the thinking more open (than texts, which tend to tie meaning down), but thinking about your post, I guess images could be too strong, and too directive too.  

What would a usefully open image be like?  And have we got any in our mapping sheet?  

My first impressions are that the images for Unpredictable Outcomes, Open Affordances, Presence/Writing, Informal Writing, and Autonomy - in that order - are the most open, Networking is the most clunky [please help out if you have a better one], and Liminality is the most closed.  But maybe that's just me.