Drawing and using footprints

Re: Drawing and using footprints

by Jaap Bosman -
Number of replies: 6

Differences could just be the use of a different scale ( Like Lisa is using Fahrenheit and I am using Celcius).
I had to look at the wiki when writing this post for reading the description of the critical factors. So my interpretation or understanding of the factors could be different from Lisa's. 

Big differences in opinion is in our view on  diversity and multiple pathways and on IDentity and on Theory of Mind.  

On ID: Being online student in this kind of course is new to me. Have to adopt some new roles. I guess Lisa expects students of Potcert being used to this kind of online learning. (Is this a good guess, Lisa?)

On Diversity and Multiple Pathways:  The difference could in part be a difference in scale. But it could be the newness of online learning and my personal objectives with the course. One goal is to learn from within how an online course in a community college is done. (In the Netherlands online teaching is not yet part of our "Community Colleges ")
On Theory of Mind: I am from another culture. Mutual conversations in Southern California need to be understood in a kind of anthropological way. (e.g. Compliments in US conversations have a different value than compliments in Dutch conversations) That is why I put the dot for ToM on another place than Lisa. 

I did participate in some MOOCs (e.g. CCK11 and Change11) and that could be a cause of my different view on learning even in a rather prescribed course like Potcert. (I really do like Potcert. A prescribed course  does certainly  not not mean a low-value course). A course will be emergent if student and course do have a fit together. A non-imaginative student in a very emergent course could experience the course as a non-emergent course. 

In reply to Jaap Bosman

Re: Drawing and using footprints

by Jenny Mackness -

Many thanks for these explanatory points Jaap. I think inevitably indviduals will be working on slighty different scales - and I would suspect that this is the case in any form of reflection/evaluation exercise. What I like about the footprints is that they show so clearly how unique the learner experience is - and therefore how challenging it is to draw any generalisations about it at all!

However, you have pointed to the influence of prior experience on the drawing of footprints. I do agree with you that past experience, for example of a MOOC, is likely to affect how the factors are interpreted. I myself have found that I tend to judge factors such as autonomy, diversity and so on in relation to my experience of CCK08 - so I am not challenged by these as much as maybe someone who is more used to working in prescribed learning environments might be. That is why the descriptions that go with the footprints are also very important.

I completely agree though that a prescribed course does not mean a low-value course and I very much like how you have described this - A course will be emergent if student and course do have a fit together. Fitness for purpose is something we have always thought important, but perhaps we should emphasise more.

In reply to Jenny Mackness

Three perspectives on one course

by Jenny Mackness -

Hi Lisa, Jaap and Scott

Thought you might like to see your footprints all together.

POTCert footprints

Re: Three perspectives on one course

by Scott Johnson -

Mine's biggest! Is that important?

In reply to Scott Johnson

Re: Three perspectives on one course

by Jenny Mackness -

Only if you are competitive ;-)

Helen Crump's Footprint

by Jenny Mackness -

Helen attended the webinars and has drawn a footprint of her experience of the Exploring Personal Learning Networks online seminar. She has blogged about it here - and I have copied her footprint below.

Helen Crump's footprint

Re: Helen Crump's Footprint

by Jenny Mackness -

Helen has provided me with more information about her footprint today - which I have added to our wiki - see

http://footprints-of-emergence.wikispaces.com/Exploring+Personal+Learning+Networks+-+Helen+Crump

Now that we are getting to the end of our time here, I would like to start copying all the footprints across to the wiki. If you have any objections to me doing this, please could you let me know.

Many thanks to all for your footprints. It has been fascinating to see them.