Assessing Emergent Learning

Re: Assessing Emergent Learning/ Our Questions

by Phillip Rutherford -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Jenny,

From my research into the impact that the complexity sciences have on training and learning I found that using knowledge to create knowledge could be termed transformative - in other words, transforming what has been learned into new learning. This may not be everybody's definition but it works for me.

Transformative learning, from my research, is not about learning more about what one already knows some or a lot about, but continuously learning what one doesn't know - including learning how the context and environment changes as new knowledge is applied. Learning at the edge of chaos if you like.

Re your second question, I would recommend reading any studies into neuroplasticity and the research conducted into how brains change from zero to 3 years of age. Some scientists believe that the greatest growth in character and brain capacity occur up until the age of 3, and from then on learning concerns how to adapt one's capacity within the environment in which one lives. As someone far more famous than I once said: "Give me the child until 7 years of age and I will give you the man".  Of course this only refers to male children :-)

Phil

In reply to Phillip Rutherford

Re: Assessing Emergent Learning/ Our Questions

by Jenny Mackness -

Thanks Phillip - I can see that my Christmas reading will be studies in neuroplasticity. Thanks for the book references.

Jenny