Assessing Emergent Learning

Re: Assessing Emergent Learning

by Nick Kearney -
Number of replies: 2

Assessment of learning, as the term (and the practice) is currently understood,implies a set of objectives that the teaching/learning process is designed to achieve.

Emergent learning will not be assessed, nor can it be assessed since its very nature implies an absence of clear objectives that drive the process.

Thats the easy answer. But in fact frameworks and contexts can be designed in such a way that learning or learnings can emerge, (the young chimp mentioned earlier may be a very interesting example of this, it would be useful to unpack intentionality there) and the space between emergent and planned learning can be conceived of as a slow cline. Different assessment mechanisms can be brought to bear, and instances of emergent learning can be placed under the light and examined, by the self and others.

Perhaps a useful idea here is ipsative assessment. Measurement is done against the benchmark of the self. Value emerges quite simply.

Best to all

Nick

In reply to Nick Kearney

by Phillip Rutherford -

Nick - I agree. By adding intentionality to learning you are, by definition, creating a space where learning is no longer emergent.

I prefer the notion of assessing learning against self, but how could this work from a teacher/trainer's point of view? My experience has been to not focus on the learning but on the environment in which learning takes place. Others have spoken of complexity and complex learning environments so I won't reiterate them here. Instead I will say that I set the parameters for the learning - that is, the tools to be used (eg "In teams/individually, how many uses can you find for a paper cup?"), and milestones (eg "Must include at least one colour").

Undertaking a Ph.D is a good example of emergent learning. The individual sets the question (and quite often changes it as new knowledge is formed), identifies what is known, and sets out to bridge the gap between the two.

This concept has many benefits outside of the classroom. I am currently working on a major government project which, in simple terms, seeks to create knowledge as we are, er, creating knowledge. In other words, we are building the bridge as we are crossing it.

In reply to Phillip Rutherford

by Nick Kearney -

In other words, we are building the bridge as we are crossing it. In my doctorate I felt like the coyote most of the time, running across thin air (Where's that confounded bridge!!)

I have worked in a lot of fields, everywhere everyone is driven to innovate, to build that bridge and cross it at the same time, except education.

Ipsative as an educational innovation (in the public arena) seems weird, too resource intensive in times when education is not apparently worth the candle. But it could work in education, if teachers had manageable class sizes. That works, I have seen it work.