TASK 7 (Dec 14): Let's start issuing seminar badges

Re: TASK 7 (Dec 14): Let's start issuing seminar badges

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Number of replies: 7

Will be interesting to read your own debrief of this quick course, both what you learned and what you envision as next steps.

Sorry, the reflective practitioner in me . . .

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Jeffrey,

I'd also like to read your debrief of this quick course, both what you learned and what you envision as next steps...

No worries, the reflective learner in me can never get enough good feedback, and please be candid...

Peter

In reply to Peter Rawsthorne

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Peter,

As a reflective learner two minor observations with the requirements you set up for your badges:

• You did not consider an international audience. If participation in a synchronous session is a requirement, them you need to host a minimum of two sessions to accommodate international time zones
  • The technologies used for synchronous sessions should not require learners to install non-free codecs. I've experienced challenges in using Collaborate from my OS, and for this reason didn't bother to try and connect for the synchronous sessions.
For the record -- I'm not interested in any badges for my periphal engagment in this timely and well facilitated workshop -- but these issues may be barriers for other participants who are keen on earning the badges. 
In reply to Wayne Mackintosh

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Thanks Wayne,

Would you think it would be a good idea to get Mozilla Open Badges working against Wikiversity, WikiEducator or other MediaWiki site?

Good feedback... your comment about international issues adjusted my approach at the beginning of the seminar series. Thank-you.

Unfortunately, the codecs were beyond my control, but I will keep this in mind when facilitating other similar international seminars.

Yes, damn barriers... they seem to pop up when you really don't need them to get in your way. Again good feedback!

Thanks for taking the time Wayne...

Have a great Christmas with the Family!!!!

Peter

by Wayne Mackintosh -

Hi Peter in response to your comments / questions:

Peter wrote: Would you think it would be a good idea to get Mozilla Open Badges working against Wikiversity, WikiEducator or other MediaWiki site?

In general, I don't think its a good idea for open projects to be working "against" each other. Its not the way we generally work in the open world.

Mozilla is developing an open architecture which shouldn't be too hard to implement across Mediawiki sites. I think the Wikipedia, Wikiversity and WikiEducator communities provide fertile ground for implementation of open badges as these communities have been working with badge-like awards prior to the concept of Open Badges, eg Barnstars in Wikipedia and the Wikimaster typology in WikiEducator. 

The OERu collaboration will be considering the implementation of digital badges and I will be building this into the design of the Open Education Practice elective for the new  Diploma in Tertiary Education which Otago Poly will be offering as OER through the OERu network.  Still undecided as to the technical implementation detail and we're experimenting with alternatives. 

Peter wrote: your comment about international issues adjusted my approach at the beginning of the seminar series.

Appreciated your adjustment to the teaching delivery for international time zones, but the corresponding badge criteria were not adjusted ;-). My point being that if a learner was sleeping at the time of a synchronous session -- it would be unreasonable to specify participation as a criterion for earning a badge.  

Peter wrote: Unfortunately, the codecs were beyond my control, but I will keep this in mind when facilitating other similar international seminars.

Fair comment about technology being out of your control -- but again one of the badge criteria required participation in the synchronous session. It would be unreasonable to expect a learner to sacrifice their freedoms in software choice in order to qualify for the badge. Just saying that if technology choices are not in the control of facilitator or learner -- we should adjust the badge criteria accordingly. Just highlighting the issues we need to consider for reliable and equitable assessment :-).

In reply to Wayne Mackintosh

by Peter Rawsthorne -

Wayne Mackintosh wrote,

In general, I don't think its a good idea for open projects to be working "against" each other. Its not the way we generally work in the open world.

Completely agree with you. Poor choice of words on my behalf, what I meant to say was "get Mozilla Open Badges working with Wikiversity, WikiEducator or other MediaWiki site?" I sometimes use "against" when I describe using an Open API, I use it more like I lean against a wall, where the wall is providing me something to lean against. I program against an open API. Anyhow...

Good to read that you are considering using digital badges with your diploma in tertiary education.

You make very good points about considering internationalization within course criteria, technology, and badge earning criteria. When I developed the course it was for BCCampus where the learner cohort was from within the province of BC. I was caught by surprise by the number of non-BC residence who participated... all good.

When I spend my time with working with Mozilla Open Badges team and P2Pu I usually have the same online events (livestreamed deliveries) twice, with the purpose to provide international coverage. I do think you bring up an interesting point toward online education and badge criteria... if the online course is meant to be international and assessment criteria is tied to participation in online events, it may be a good idea to run the online event more than once to get time zone coverage...

Always apppretiate your internationalization views... thanks.

by Christine Horgan -

Jeffrey:

I learnt that

• my gut instincts around the badge concept was sound.
  • there's a lot more thinking that needs to be done by me about badges.
  • that as i will never be interested in the technie piece (building, hosting), I'd better learn enough so I can converse intelligently with those who do have an interest in the technie pieces.
  • there's a place for badges for those outside of PSE.
  • i'm not 100% convinced yet that there'll be recognition for badges inside PSE, but I live in hope that that'll change (but I expect it'll be like turning around a battle ship).
  • that this has been one of the most lively and interesting SCoPE conversations I've had the pleasure of participating in (and just possibly that's becuase I participated vs. lurked).

Hats off to you, jeffrey. Many thanks, Cheers, Chris

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Christine Horgan -

apologies, I meant to respond to Peter. C