A simple three badge system design for this seminar series

Re: Refining the term

by Richard Schwier -
Number of replies: 3
I like your notion of listener, but I wonder if it suggests that the "listener" is cognitively active? We don't really know, do we, although it is a fair assumption given that someone takes the trouble to attend a conversation. I've been partial to the term "spectator" because it emphasizes watching and doesn't make assumptions about the investment individuals are making. All the same, they're an important part of any learning landscape, whether it is in a classroom or online. I was quite shy during my early years of university, but I was learning like mad, and soaking up everything I could.
In reply to Richard Schwier

by Stephen Downes -

The term in actual universities is 'audit'. That's probably what I would recommend.

I would caution against selecting or rejecting terms based on connotations, because these are really culturally specific. For example, for me the term 'lurker' doesn't carry the negative sense it obviously does for many people.

In reply to Stephen Downes

by Pat Tymchatyn -

I know that they use 'audit' in universities and in a sense it works because the prof sees the person.  In the on-line world where your presence doesn't have to be made known to anyone - I think that is where lurker came into being (and not in negative sense).  Personally lurker works better for me than spectator since a spectator usually has bought into the process i.e. spectators at a sporting event.

In reply to Richard Schwier

by Kathleen Zarubin -

'Active Listener' ? - The issue of 'participation' (ie doing a post) is interesting because it is not always 'shyness' etc that holds people back - sometimes it is just being time poor.  The 'like' button is one feature Facebook does really well. It is easy and fast to review what others are saying and hit the like button (which indicates yes I agree also shows I did read this / actively listen / consider this) and the then the ability to just make a comment - "we do that here too"  or even 'interesting I'll look that up'.  Also there isn't an automatic assumption that a comment on facebook will be as 'intense' (?) as one on a fourm like this ...  just something else to consider :)