Dual Mode Conferences

Dual Mode Conferences

by Paul Stacey -
Number of replies: 20
I've been involved in organizing and hosting a range of online conferences, especially what Terry and Lynn call in their book, dual mode conferences. The upcoming Canada Moodle Moot conference in Edmonton is a great example. Primarily designed for face-to-face delegates the conference also offers a virtual attendee option.

I thought I'd share a few observations about organizing dual mode conferences and introduce some of what I find fascinating about them.

Most conferences have a call for proposals or presentations and assemble a program based on what comes in. A large conference usually lasts around 3 days often with an intensive pre-conference workshop on the first day followed by shorter presentation style sessions the following days.

Pre-conference workshops are often intensive hands-on sessions that allow participants to explore and try for themselves a technology or method. These sessions are difficult to deliver to virtual participants as the presenters role is often to simply frame the activity and then provide one-on-one support and assistance as people explore hands-on.

Presentation style sessions are relatively easily handled by webcasting the presentation being given to the f2f delegates out to the virtual attendees too. In the dual mode conferences I've been part of this has usually been done via Elluminate which provides an easy way to feed the presenters audio out over the web along with the slides and visuals the presenter is using.

The presenter tends to design their session and focus their delivery solely on those attending f2f. This can make the virtual participants feel like second-class citizens. To counteract this the virtual session is facilitated by a moderator in Elluminate who is at the f2f venue and speaks with the virtual attendees via VOIP and text chat letting them know what is happening and acting as their bridge to the presenter often relaying their questions and comments so that they feel included.

One phenomenon I'm fascinated by that I feel is relatively unexplored in the literature and the whole process of creating conferences like this is the ability for presenters and f2f delegates to participate directly with the virtual participants. I think of this as "dual mode presence". Here's a few of the things I've been thinking about:

• What might presenters do differently to design a dual mode presentation to better engage with virtual participants?
  • How can we more fully bring the virtual participants into the event and generate interaction between them and the presenter and f2f attendees?
  • One thing I've noticed that is intriguing is that f2f delegates often log in to the Elluminate room even while sitting in the venue. In this case they and the Elluminate facilitator are engaged in dual mode presence with virtual participants. How might we deliberately use this as part of the experience?
  • A big aspect of f2f conferences as Terry and Lynn note in their book is the social networking of delegates. How can we use dual mode presence to create a social networking event that brings f2f and virtual delegates together?
Paul

In reply to Paul Stacey

Re: Dual Mode Conferences

by Susan Lister -
Hi Paul and Others,
First a disclosure, I don’t have access to the book, so I may be talking out of turn here…

I have been involved in the support end of a few online conferences (http://k12onlineconference.org/ & the http://www.globaleducationconference.com/ - which heralded over 400 sessions, over 60 keynote speakers, and over 15,000 participant logins) and have just booked myself into the Moodle Moot in May as a Virtual Moderator! I was also successful in convincing the organizers of an annual, f2f conference for Pre-Service Teachers to allow me to present virtually for the last 5 years since I am usually ‘on-contract’ somewhere internationally during the conference dates.

It’s this second set up that I feel intertwines with much of Paul’s posting. The PRe-Service Teacher conference sessions are promoted as hands-on and interactive. I have always found it a challenge to meet the criteria in a virtual setting and admittedly, some years I have been more successful than others. Still, I have found it important to show new teachers that these virtual environments (1) Exist and (2) Can provide an effective learning place. We have also had the best dynamics in the workshops when other teachers participate in the online environment (I always promote the virtual workshop I am doing to anyone who may be interested in the topic through email, social media sites, and now twitter, etc.)

We have refined the set up over the years….to clarify things: I am off-site, a room is booked for me at the conference and I now use two support people (usually Pre-Service Teachers in a Tech-Support role with the faculty of Education). One is assigned to the Virtual Environment and the second to the F2F environment (but they have served both areas as needed). The F2F Tech Support person is responsible for making sure there is a computer hooked up to a Projector and the room’s speaker system. It is also highly suggested that this person have a second computer available for personal communications – in the event something goes wrong and communication is necessary with me or others (i.e. we’re not panicking on the publicly viewed screen!). The ‘Virtual’ support person, handles any questions/problems from online and is basically the online moderator. We could probably use just 1 person but since I’m working within a ‘training’ environment, I think it’s better to have the two Pre-Service Teachers involved.

Prior to the Conference day, I ask for the emails from all those signed up for the workshop and I send out an explanation about what to expect, the software required and even an invitation NOT to go to the booked room and just participate through the online interface (I think over the 5 years 3 students may have taken me up on that…one student took one session in the room and then participated in a second one, online, while he was in another workshop!). I also have a few virtual training sessions about the online environment with the two support people.

As I said earlier, the most powerful things happen when ‘seasoned’ teachers drop into the workshop through the online environment. Not only do the participants get ‘more bang for their buck’ as in while I’m presenting, the seasoned teachers supply additional, supportive material and they also provide potential PLN partners for the Pre-Service Teachers’ future careers..

During the event, both the Presenter and the F2F moderator is key to generating interaction between the live audience and the virtual one. Therefore, by virtue of the set up, with me off-site and the f2f moderators in attendance, I don’t think either group feels like ‘second-class’ citizens….but that certainly is a research point for investigation!

Some final thoughts:
-My dream is not to be the one ‘pushing the envelope’ and rather, that someday, the conference will be an ‘official’ dual mode one. There is so much to be gained by the Pre-Service Teachers in attendance as well as the potential for other Pre-Service Teacher programs to get involved – more connections, cross pollination, etc.

-Since I can’t see the audience in the current set up, I’ve suggested a camera on the audience but it’s difficult to arrange such a set up from afar and it would be one more layer of technology to fail on us.

-Being the presenter as well as the one responsible for the technology set up, I tend not to get too creative with ‘hands-on’ interactive portion of my workshop. I’d like to work on this aspect of the presentation more. In the future, I’m thinking of having the f2f get into ‘online groups’ for smaller group discussions and employing more activities while I pause and provide support.

-Right now, it’s basically only me “tweeting” about the workshop and inviting outsiders to participate. The university told me that their surveys have shown that the Pre-Service Teachers don’t use Twitter so they hadn’t thought of a hashtag, etc. – this just tells me how much more such activities are needed! Ideally, I’d like to have about half as many full-time teachers in attendance as Pre-Service Teachers – Over the years, I’ve averaged 20 Pre-Service Teachers and only 2 Full-Time teachers.

-In the past, when I sent out the pre-workshop email, I provided an online environment for participants to ask questions, network, etc. It didn’t get any action so I’ve dropped that aspect. It nags me though, because I tend to think, a Pre-Conference online environment might promote greater networking among future attendees – both f2f as well as online.

-I’m surprised with such services as Skype, Ustream or Livestream being freely available, there are not more dual mode presentation options formally available. I say, formally, since many an adhoc choice is ‘tweeted’ throughout any given week, where a laptop webcam and onboard audio attempts to present P.D.

Sue

Susan Lister, OCT, BEd, HBOR, MAET
NewMedia Consulting Services
twitter: slister / Skype: sl_info

In reply to Susan Lister

by Paul Stacey -
Susan:

Thanks for the thorough description of format and approach you've been using. I've never heard of someone sending an invitation not to go to the f2f event and instead to participate online. I like it!

I'm particularly taken with your observation that the most powerful things happen when seasoned teachers drop in to the workshop through the online environment. This is very congruent with my experience too. At Moodle Moot when Martin Dougiamas (the creator of Moodle) logs in to the virtual room you can practically feel the online participants sit up, take notice and more actively engage.

I also like your suggestion that a camera be used to convey the f2f setting and audience to the virtual participants. I've tried this in some of my work and it really does help to convey a sense of place and create a mental picture in virtual participants minds of what's happening. This is an area of great potential significance, I think. I'm very interested in not only using cameras to show the f2f venue to the virtual participants but vice versa too. I've noticed that the f2f participants acknowledge, and become more interested in the virtual participants if the virtual venue (Elluminate or whatever) is projected on large screens in the venue. These visual cues are further enhanced if questions from virtual participants to presenters can are channeled in to the room via mic's and speakers. Hearing the voices of virtual participants increases the awareness and sense of their presence.

The old adage "out of sight out of mind" seems particularly apropos here and I've found it really helps everyone if the presenter verbally acknowledges virtual participants, asks comments and questions directly to them and seeks their input. However, if the presenter has no visual cues showing the virtual participants its easy to forget they are there.

I'm very interested in the potential to form breakout groups or small group discussions where virtual participants have a seat at the table with f2f participants. Lots of things to explore and try.

Look forward to connecting with you online at the Moodle Moot.

Paul

In reply to Paul Stacey

by Lynn Anderson -
Hi Paul,

I have attended dual-mode sessions in Second Life, and I have to say, that I felt more connected to both the live audience and the virtual audience. I'll speculate on why here:
  1. The moderator was great! She was not dedicated to just the virtual room. She introduced the speaker to both audiences and took questions from both equally.
  2. I was able to see the presenter. This can be done one of two ways: 1. Stream the live event into SL. However, I believe there may be some lag. 2. Provide two screens in SL - one with the presenters picture, one with the ppt.
  3. I believe (not sure) that the action in SL was streamed into the live conference room.
  4. Greater social presence - I felt more connected to the virtual audience. Perhaps, this feeling of connection was projected to the live audience as well, or perhaps, I no longer needed to feel connected to the live audience.
Sorry, I know this is purely speculation based on personal experience, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Paul Stacey -
Lynn:

I think this sense of feeling connected is crucial to online conferences.

Yesterday I was chairing the closing keynote panel at the Digital Learning Conference in Vancouver. Some of the panel members were known for their innovative use of social media. I found it fascinating to watch how between giving their remarks panel members turned on their iPhones or iPads and monitored Twitter comments. It's like the panelists were seeking to connect with not only the audience's public out loud verbal questions and comments but their internal observations, analysis and critiques too. Twitter's stream of consciousness back channel deepens the sense of connection by tapping in to the unspoken.

Paul

In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
I had the pleasure of presenting at a face-to-face conference in New Orleans and presenting on WiZiQ at the same time. It was an awesome experience getting the two audiences connected. Everyone felt the energy of connecting from their homes and feeling like they were with me at the conference.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Pheo Martin -
Nellie, is there any way you could write up how you connected the audiences? Or, has anyone written on the 'best practices' for this? I see dual mode as a really important teaching tool. Students who could not get to campus could get to class virtually. Pheo :)
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Pheo Martin -
Paul,
I have been in a dual mode presentation in which an onsite moderator fielded all our 'virtual' questions,and presented them for us. This is limited but far better than no access.

I have been in a dual mode in which, an Elluminate session was used for the virtual participants. The bandwidth issue is the challenge there. To have the visual component takes too much bandwidth most of the time.

I am wondering about using video conferencing as a tool. The upgrades have made using this tool over the internet possible.

I believe this dual mode is a 'step' in education that we are working with right now. Once again, only the technology is slowing how fast take steps for this.

Pheo :)

In reply to Pheo Martin

by Paul Stacey -
Pheo:

I've been thinking quite a lot about the use of video in education. Like you I appreciate the visual component. However, I find that straight video conferencing or even web cam's in Elluminate, while great for providing an initial sense of identity and personality, are not exactly captivating over a lengthy time. This is further exacerbated if the bandwidth issues result in the audio being out of synch with the video (I find it almost impossible to watch for very long video of talking heads where the lips are out of synch with the audio).

I think we've constrained our thinking about the video channel too much. I look forward to seeing video be used in cinematic ways to show not only faces, but places, demos, walking tours, social interactions, drama, ...

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Don McIntosh -
Hi Paul,

I agree with you that video has been over-hyped. I just finished a short paper on the subject which you can find at http://www.trimeritus.com/video.

To summarize briefly, the best use of video is for feedback to learners (something I have rarely seen done on the internet). The next best use is for demonstration of psychomotor skills with a strong visual component but that requires careful planning and expert camera work which is difficult in a live video conference session. Talking head video may provide some identification with the subject and some non-verbal cues but is often a waste of learners' time and/or bandwidth.

Don.

In reply to Don McIntosh

Re: Dual Mode Conferences [link to Trimeritus.com]

by Paul Beaufait -
Hello, everyone; hi Don:

Another Paul here, very keen to find the paper to which you pointed. Thanks for the pointer and the summary.

However, I got an error message from Trimeritus when I clicked on the link in SCoPE. Here's the gist of that message:

Site Error
An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
Resource not found
Sorry, the requested resource does not exist. Check the URL and try again.
Resource: http://www.trimeritus.com/video
(2011.04.21, c. 16:30 JST)

The URL and display text seem identical. I hope you'll let us know if inaccessibility was a temporary problem, or there is another URL we might try.

Cheers, Paul B.
In reply to Paul Beaufait

by Don McIntosh -
Thanks for your interest Paul and my apologies for the incorrect link. It should be http://www.trimeritus.com/Video. I hope this helps.

Don.
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Paul Beaufait -
Much obliged, Don. The new link worked like a charm. Cheers, Paul
In reply to Don McIntosh

by Paul Stacey -
Don:

Thanks for the link to your paper - interesting analysis.

Wanted to correct your perception that my comments were an indication that I felt video is over-hyped. Video is becoming huge and its use very diverse. If anything we're under-hyping videos potential.

I was particularly struck by a comment Michael Strangelove left me saying he's eliminated ALL written (paper-based) assignments from his many courses and now requires all students to make a research-based video and write a blog. Read that again - eliminated all written paper based assignments! Video and blogging are new forms of academic expression and assessment.

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Pheo Martin -
Hi Paul,
Very encouraging to hear about the increased use of video/blogging for expression and assessment of students. We have the technology to allow for expanded forms, getting educators to use them is the next step. Thanks for your comments. Pheo :)
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Paul,

I find it very difficult to present online without a webcam. I use WiZiQ because it is flash based and allows me and the other participants to speak with the webcam or via audio if they don't have a webcam. Personally, I need to see the presenter or I feel like I'm on the phone. For me, it's like the difference between radio and TV. I prefer TV.
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Lynn Anderson -
Hi Paul, I agree with your comment about the use of video, particularly in platforms like Elluminate. I usually limit the presenters use of video in Elluminate to just prior to the presentation. One presenter from the Open University did give us a very short walking tour of his offices which was fun in that it was new, but really, it's just offices.

The best use of video in conferences that I have heard of has been by the Supporting Deaf People Online Conference. Video was used to enable signing between deaf people and the professionals who support them. The conference delegates were from all over the world. It's a great example of how online conferencing provides accessibility to conferences and connects people who otherwise would not be able to meet.
In reply to Paul Stacey

Re: Dual Mode Conferences: Help with a McKnight Scheme

by Joyce McKnight -
Hello all: Do any of you know who might help me propose and then manage a dual conference. I am in the process of making a conference proposal for 2012 for the Adult Education Research Conference (AERC) on behalf of Empire State College/State University of New York. The AERC is the major research conference for adult educators in the US and I am quite keen on linking them to the OER-U and rest of our movement. I would like to propose that we do a dual conference such as those discussed here. ESC has some in-house experience with dual modes but this is a large, show-case type undertaking and I want to do it well. Any suggestions? Anyone willing to help a bit? I can't promise remuneration other than my gratitude. Thanks in advance. Joyce McKnight, SUNY/Empire State College
In reply to Joyce McKnight

by Maria Droujkova -
Joyce,

I would recommend Nellie Deutsch, who is a member here. Also, Steve Hargadon of Classroom 2.0 - please email me droujkova@gmail.com for details. It may be better to think of a microgrant to support people who will help somewhat.

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Joyce,

Great to "see" you here and thank you, Maria, for recommending me. Yes, I would love to help, Joyce.

by Pheo Martin -
Hi Joyce,
I would be glad to help as I can. Nellie will be a great resource, and I can learn from her as we work together. :) Having a connection with the OER-U planning committee I would like to link these also. Dual mode conferences and classes have so much to offer education -- another digital adventure for us. Pheo