Exceptional Online Conferences: Your experiences

Re: Exceptional Online Conferences: Your experiences

by Lynn Anderson -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Sylvia,
I'd like to comment on your first point - "Seeing who will be attending and having ways to connect ahead of the event". Almost all of the conference organizers that I interviewed emphasized the importance of organizing a pre-conference event and/or icebreaker activities prior to the first formal sessions. They provided many reasons:
  • Events and activities taking place prior to the conference provided an opportunity for participants to become comfortable with the platform and complete any pre-configuration necessary (plug-ins, audio set-up, avatar creation, etc.)
  • Pre-conference events promoted the actual conference and increased participant numbers.
  • Pre-conference events provided an opportunity for participatns to familiarize themselves with the content.
  • Pre-conference events and icebreaker activites ensured that the online delegates were ready to actively participate on the first day of formal events.
  • Organizers felt that by making participants comfortable with the platform and each other, they increased the interaction that took place early on in the conference.
I should note that some preconference events were in the form of workshops, etc., that took place weeks ahead of the conference. While other events were more social in nature (icebreaker activities, introductions, parties in SecondLife, etc.) and took place immediately before the conference.