Exceptional Online Conferences: Your experiences

Re: Exceptional Online Conferences: Your experiences

by Susan Stewart -
Number of replies: 4
Sylvia, another colleague (LaDonna Coy), and I are thinking together about a situation that we each have experienced hosting online meetings and events using a variety of technologies where we often have one of two situations.
  1. We are connected to sites with small groups of people around an LCD projector/screen or computer with a speakerphone or microphone and where we want to engage, facilitate and harvest learnings from small groups.
  2. Other times we are connected to sites as described in number one above but also have individuals joining the session as well ... where they are sitting at a computer with a keyboard and mic/audio ... creating a mix of both small groups and individuals.
(please see the attached graphic of these online configurations)

We are thinking about designing for participation in these instances and especially participation where we can harvest learning beyond just the surface or engaging these small groups via more than only the individual at the keyboard. (We have tapped into the power and potential of the small groups doing some work and then sharing back their thoughts with the larger group.)

One thing that we have talked about is how we might incorporate mobile technology so that everyone can contribute...not just the person in control of the keyboard. (For example, could we integrate something like a twitter feed into a platform like Elluminate?) We'd love to get your ideas on how to ensure that everyone who wants to actively participate in the dialogue is able to do so without the necessity of having one computer per person.

What have you done? What has worked well? What has potential?

What can you *imagine* could be done?

Attachment OnlineConfigurations_2_.jpg
In reply to Susan Stewart

by Lynn Anderson -

Hi Susan,

To the best of my knowledge, you can’t integrate a twitter feed into Elluminate. However, I have heard of many instances where a “back-channel” was set-up (by participants or conference organizers) so that individuals could interact there during live sessions. Back-channel conversations took place in Twitter and/or Facebook. These conversations were tagged, aggregated, and available from a central conference website. 

I've also heard of simultaneous back channel converations going on in Skype and wikis being opened on the fly during live sessions in order for participants to collaborate on presentation related content. The wiki was then linked to the conference website.

Hope this helps.
In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Susan Stewart -
Sorry for the delayed response, Lynn. I've been "out of pocket" with limited internet access.

I really like the idea of back-channel conversations and intentionally bringing those to the forefront because such good thinking happens in the subtext. My dilemma at this point in time is that most of those I am working with are limited social media users. They use email, probably text a bit, and might be on Facebook, but those are the outer limits. My desire is to start where they are and build a bridge for using the familiar tools in new ways that increases participation (both "out-loud" and observational) of those in the small face-to-face groups who do not have a computer in front of them.

Does anyone know of any text aggregators that would bring all text messages sent to a certain number into one location...like a twitterfeed...that could be accessed by all of those on computers so they could be projected for all the individuals in the small groups to see? Or other ideas for how to create, capture, and share back channel conversations using simple cell phones (not smart phones)?
In reply to Susan Stewart

by Lynn Anderson -
Wow, good question. I personally haven't heard of any. Sorry!

In reply to Lynn Anderson

by Susan Stewart -
It's really interesting how when you begin to explore something new that related resources seem to find their way to your door. Just this morning I received a link to this blog about group texting applications: http://www.frogloop.com/care2blog/2011/4/25/group-texting-useful-or-hype.html and LaDonna Coy shared wifitti with me. I haven't had a chance to explore these tools...if folks have recommendations or are willing to share their experiences with any of the tools, I'm eager to learn from you!