Live Session Today! April 11 10:00 PDT, 17:00 GMT

Re: April 11 Live Session: Graphic Recording by Susan Stewart

by Susan Stewart -
Number of replies: 1
Thanks for the added detail, Nick...I do think it would be interesting to see how an "exchange based primarily on graphical representations of communication with text as a secondary mode" would play out. I know we have some folks here who have done graphic facilitation with face-to-face groups using 2 or more languages. I wonder if they have done any of that work online...and if so, how adding co-creation of a visualization enhanced or hindered the experience. (Nancy White...might you have some experiences to add here?)

It might be useful to find out how each of us "visualizes" ;) the phrase "graphic representation". You referenced pie charts...I typically think of something that is more pictorial in nature or includes a mix of pictures and text. I imagine that tools like pie charts are possibly more translatable across cultural contexts whereas pictures have the potential to create misunderstanding as well as increase shared understanding...a key factor being sensitivity to color/social/visual languages of the cultures involved.

In reply to Susan Stewart

Re: April 11 Live Session: Graphic Recording by Susan Stewart

by Nicholas Bowskill -

Yes I agree Susan. i think it could be difficult indeed online but fun to try maybe. I guess I'm thinking about at least changing the emphasis to include more graphics - but production, understanding etc may be issues.

i think it would be interesting to see how others interpret the term graphic representation too. The pie-charts we use are generated as a summary of a discussion - basically to bring together small groups and then to bring together the view of their ideas across the room. We've then explored them being put online to sustain the dialogue or develop it.

Last message from Oz as I'm off for the plane home in an hour or so. See you all online again in around 2 days. G'Day!

Nick