Hi, from L.A., Calif. Anyone interested in K-12 analytics?

Re: Hi, from L.A., Calif. Anyone interested in K-12 analytics?

by Monica Resendes -
Number of replies: 2
Glad you brought this up, Andrew.
I'm also interested in the idea of using formative assessment data to bolster learning in K-12 contexts - more particularly, to encourage deep disciplinary understanding. This bumps up in many ways in against the issue of qualitative analysis of learning interactions, which Wolfgang raised earlier.
Two questions I find most intriguing (and difficult):
-How to present formative data on student work to students themselves in a manner that can be interpreted easily and can scaffold students to productively engage with learning material and/or their learning community?
-How can instructors/teachers/facilitators in K-12 classroom contexts and on large-scale open ed platforms use the discursive traces students leave behind (notes, posts, messages) to evaluate the level of learning students' achieved and the effectiveness of their own courses?
Though I can't offer any insights to these questions now, I do plan on checking out your links (thanks for those!) and hopefully continuing this discussion as the course goes on.
In reply to Monica Resendes

by andrew thomas -
Monica, these are great questions. Their answers would require a fair amount of experimentation and development.

Daskala is a formative assessment platform, but its abilities are unclear from its website. It's an online test delivery system that monitors the test-taking behavior of students, mapped over the time it takes to take the test. In the item bank, each distractor is associated with the learning "mistake" that the distractor is supposed to capture, so the misconceptions that are shared widely among a group of learners become obvious. The system provides a series of graphical representations of the test taking, clustered in various ways, such that the instructor can see, for example, that everyone seemed to perform less well on the test after about an hour and a half, which would suggest that everyone needed a break, or that many people misunderstood a single concept, suggesting that the instruction in that area needs strengthening...stuff like that.

I hope we can continue this discussion as the MOOC progresses.

/A
In reply to andrew thomas

by Leah Bricker -
Hi all,

I am also very interested in K-12 learning analytics. My colleagues and I have been funded to create high school curriculum that is project-based and technology enabled and that allows for the interaction (in various media) between students, teachers, and professionals (e.g., scientists, engineers, authors). Some of our questions are very much in line with yours, Monica. I too am really interested in continuing to dialogue about applications for K-12 that go beyond metrics, such as number of log-ins to a particular website.

Best,
Leah