What is your experience with blogging?

Re: What is your experience with blogging?

by caren levine -
Number of replies: 10
Greetings! I am glad to see this topic and happy to jump in.

I've been blogging since 2006. I started a couple of blogs that related to different aspects of my work - one as an educator, another as someone interested in technology stewardship, particularly in communities of practice.

Both of those blogs are more labors of love and are not directly job-related, but were created mostly as a space for me to think out loud. One blog has lain fallow for awhile. The other, I do post, but part of my "personal learning plan" for this year is to do so more regularly and to dig a little deeper into things that I'd like to explore. I totally related to Sylvia's comment, by the way, of having a pile of drafts in wordpress!

I co-blog at another work-related blog. And we use blogs to support specific projects, like our "social media boot camps."

It is also worth mentioning that I read - or perhaps more accurately - scan a number of blogs regularly.

I also use twitter, both as a listening post for my own professional/personal learning and to share resources that might be of interest to others.

Things I have been thinking about lately and would like to explore more:
  • blogs as a means of connecting and interacting in "loosely coupled" communities of practice
  • blogging as an educational / learning activity - either as part of the curriculum or as a way of setting up a network/community of learners in formal and informal learning situations
  • blogs as a way of engaging different layers of an educational community - learners, faculty, administrators, parents, outside community members, people who might be looking to connect to the school in some way, etc.
  • Based on the above, I'm wondering, what are implications for design, facilitation, opportunities for engagement?
Thanks for the chance to think out loud!

Caren
In reply to caren levine

by Michael Griffith -
Hi Caren.... as you may have seen I use Blogging in an education setting. One of the most interesting side effects has been the way I have been able to connect disadvantaged students learning ouside the university with students on-campus. But in both cases the only way I can get it to work is to make the blogging a compulsory part of their writing assessment. Without this incentive I feel that Blogging would die on the vine. And this brings with it some other difficulties. By and large colleagues feel that Blogging is a soft option and isn't challenging the students enough. I personally disagree and feel it gives students a dynamic creative space to express themselves in their terms... but other academics are hard to convince on this: tied as they are to more conventional modes of assessment..... just a few thoughts..... and a link to one of my recent success stories:
http://www.acu.edu.au/294135
Cheers
Michael
In reply to Michael Griffith

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Michael,
Thanks for sharing this blog -- I want to share the site with my art therapy colleagues and connect that up with you. I'm slowly moving in the blogging area as I seem to read and post on other blogs more than work on my own blogs.
However, I do suffer from being very involved in a number of areas professionally including artmaking.

I'm very excited that Glenn is doing the blogging SCoPE webinar as he has so much to share in this area as he has been dedicated to writing and gathering what blogging is about as a rather new social, educational phenomenon.

I see so many important ways to reach out to many and I see that through the blogs, I am learning a lot about the heart of blogging.

Thanks again for sharing with us, Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Glenn Groulx -

Hi Jo Ann,

Welcome to the blogging seminar!

I am very interested in learning more about using blogs for individual and collaborative artmaking, storybuilding and storytelling. This has tremendous potential for use with learners.

Looking forward to talking with you.

Glenn

by Glenn Groulx -

Hello Michael,

Thank you for this link.

I am an adult literacy instructor teaching English and Computers at Northwest Community College, in Prince Rupert, BC. I work with First Nations students and support remote delivery of upgrading courses for adult learners living in remote communities. This example of connecting off-campus leaners with on-campus learners is an amazing example of how to integrate blogging into instruction.

Blogging, for me, involves explorations, where learners engage in guided discovery learning. I use the image of the collection of kites flying high all tied to their guides by a string.

I was asked at a conference about the issue of assessment for students who are blogging. I came up with a tentative idea of tethered assessment - rather than placing assessment first, and then preparing an activity to match the outcomes, as is done in formal learning, blogging encourages us to engage in praxis, to perceive assessment in terms of how well a previously encountered event or activity has prepared us for the current event or activity. In effect, learners assess their learning based on how well it "fits" into the current requirements. A useful learning activity, then, for a blogger, is one that has had high relevance to current conditions, and one that has been referred to repeatedly over time to inform current/future practice.

Just an open thought- discussion?

Glenn

Attachment explorations.jpg

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Michael,
You've said:
By and large colleagues feel that Blogging is a soft option and isn't challenging the students enough. I personally disagree and feel it gives students a dynamic creative space to express themselves in their terms... but other academics are hard to convince on this: tied as they are to more conventional modes of assessment..... just a few thoughts

(what happened to the quote feature??)

... anyway, I read "The Effect of Twitter on college student engagement & grades" today.
I'm not sure you'll be able to open it - it's possible that I can because I'm on campus & we have access to the journal via the library - in case you can't, the abstract concludes:
"This study provides experimental evidence that Twitter can be used as an educational tool to help engage students and to mobilize faculty into a more active and participatory role."

I know that Glenn said it was Twitter next week, but as I'd read that today, it was fresh in my mind!
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Sylvia Currie -
Emma asks: (what happened to the quote feature??)

Good question! We did a security upgrade on the site last week so it might be related to that. Looking into it!
In reply to caren levine

by Glenn Groulx -

Hello Caren,

Welcome to the seminar!

I have noticed that some bloggers change their focus over time, and emphasize their more personal side and shrink their professional blogging blogging activities, or shift it into lower gear.

How has your own blogging style changed over time?

What kind of coordinating activities do you engage in to manage your contributions across multiple learning networks? (Here is my response from my own blog).

Looking forward to the discussions!

Glenn

In reply to Glenn Groulx

Different levels of blogging

by Sylvia Currie -
Earlier this week I followed this link from Stephen Downe's blog to a post by Kim Cofino, an educational technology facilitator. She tells a story about working with English Department to introduce blogging into the curriculum. (I love these unexpected, relevant meanderings that start when I open Google Reader!)

Kim posted an excerpt from Will Richardson’s Blogs, Wikis, Podcast and Other Powerful Web Tools for the Classroom on different levels of blogging:
Posting assignments (Not blogging) Journaling, i.e. “this is what I did today.” (Not blogging) Posting links. (Not blogging) Links with descriptive annotation, i.e., “This site is about…” (Not really blogging either, but getting close depending on the depth of the description). Links with analysis that gets into the meaning of the content being linked. (A simple form of blogging). Reflective, metacognitive writing on practice without links. (Complex writing, but simple blogging, I think. Commenting would probably fall in here somewhere). Links with analysis and synthesis that articulate a deeper understanding or relationship to the content being linked and written with potential audience in mind. (Real blogging). Extended analysis and synthesis over a longer period of time that builds on previous posts, links, and comments. (Complex blogging).
I had come across this continuum before, but hadn't really thought about it in terms of my own blogging practice. Looking at #7 and #8 I'm beginning to understand why I have so many drafts. It takes a lot of time and effort to do "real blogging". I like the way Glenn simply calls this a "sandbox". I've decided not to let my huge number of draft posts weigh me down! approve

Another way to look at different levels of blogging is to think about your audience. Who are you writing for and what do you expect from your readers? How interested are you in the connective nature of blogs, and the dialogue that builds around ideas posted on your blog? I've heard bloggers say "I don't blog for other people; my blog is just for myself". (I don't believe them for a minute!) Others take great care to respond to comments, track readership, notice how others are referencing their blogs, etc.

What would a 'who are you writing for' continuum look like?

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Different levels of blogging

by Glenn Groulx -

Hi Sylvia,

My interpretation of blogging differs from Will Richardson's perspective.

I think that what Mr. Richardson is describing is not having to do with blogging per se, but with the cognitive process of sense-making, a key component of critical thinking. His continuum describes the levels of critical thinking, most of which can be supported by current blogging tools to various degrees, depending on the pedagogy (instructional strategies) used.

I think that dismissing journaling and annotating resources as not part of blogging is surprising. However, I think we need to place the cited content in the context of which it was originally written. The dismissal of reflective, metacognitive writing (where links are absent) is underplaying/distorting a crucial motivation for why many bloggers capture their ideas. Briefly put, if it is using a blogging tool, it is "blogging".

I referred to level one blogging activities, called berry-picking, many of which are covered in Will Richardson's continuum of blogging.

Background Reading: Berry-picking activities

Take a look at these posts demonstrating berry-picking:

exemplar one: link log

exemplar two: significant learning

exemplar three:

Annotated Bookmark Summary
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Different levels of blogging: Identifying the Audience

by Glenn Groulx -

Narcissistic Blogger

Autonomous Blogger

Social Blogger

Reluctant Blogger

Defensive Blogger

Addressivity

Indifferent to audience

Invites and welcomes audience

Requires others as audience

Overwhelmed by audience

Apologetic or Attacking

Compassion

N/A - writes for oneself

Minimal - Focus is on self-interest

Variable - conditional on others

Minimal – over-concerned

None – competitive, combative

Responsiveness to Feedback by Others

Absent

Self-critical –

Independent of Others

Variable - Contingent on Others

Internal – Critical of Self

External –

Critical of Others

Authenticity

Distorted

Independent

Inter-subjective

Hidden

Distorted

Productivity

Variable

Optimal

Variable

Minimal

Variable

Here is my take on the issue of addressivity (blogging for different audiences). Perhaps we can ask our learners to adopt different "voices" that address different audiences.