Welcome: Professional Development Collaboratory

Re: Welcome: Professional Development Collaboratory

by Maggie Verster -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Nancy and all!

I feel right at home with some old friends here ;-) I find that I can always find worthwhile professional development experiences by lurking close behind  those who are really passionate about learning and teaching (Hi Bron & Nellie)!

At the moment I am working on a PD project to design an online (and on-disk) ICT intervention for subject advisors of K12 schools nationally in South Africa (3000 of them). Most of them have beginner computer skills and have never interacted online before, so e-learning will be quite new to them! 

I am hoping that this group will inspire me to be more creative in my design while staying realistic within the boundaries and restrictions of existing learning realisties on the ground.

Maggie

In reply to Maggie Verster

by Deleted user -
Hi Maggie,
I am a teacher on call in Victoria BC and my area of interest is technology in the classroom. My focus this year is Elementary School teachers and assisting them in using technology in a transformative manner in their teaching. Like your situation many will have very little experience with technology. I am no expert and would appreciate any sugggestions.
Helen
In reply to Deleted user

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Helen,
Although, I am a Canadian, I have been living out of the country for many years. I am not familiar with the term teacher on call, is it like a substitute teacher? My daughter lives in beautiful Victoria, so I come for a visit every summer.

I like your choice of words when referring to helping teachers use "technology in a transformative manner". I would love to learn some techniques on how to persuade teachers in my school setting, or country for that manner, to buy in to using technology. What I generally hear is that there is no time. Unless the school principal, district, and/or the Ministry of Education enforce changes and provide incentives, most teachers just don't want to bother with technology.

Nellie
In reply to Maggie Verster

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Maggie,
Great to "see" you here. Your project sounds exciting. Will you be collaborating with many stakeholders? I am looking forward to many great discussions.

Nellie