Welcome: Professional Development Collaboratory

Re: Welcome: Professional Development Collaboratory

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 10

I am Nalin Abeysekera,Sri Lankan and lecturer at open university of Sri Lanka. We are still in the introductory stage in online learning. But professional development-online is new to us .I think there is a potential in our country as our literacy rate is more than 90%.But face to face, we are having some professional development programs at private institutes as well as government institutes. For online we need some country to benchmark because I think that it is much needed for a developing country.

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
HI Nalin,
Great to see you here. Maybe we can conduct our current discussions here. :)

Warm wishes,
Nellie
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Nalin Abeysekera -

Hello Nellie,

Yes this is the best place to discuss about publications,journals which is always helpful to share the knowledge.

Nalin

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Nalin and others,
Professional development e-avenues in my areas of interest -- dance/movement therapy, art therapy and health psychology are beginning to grow. I am interested in everything that people have contributed in their posts so far.
I will be taking my last course with the Graduate Diploma in Distance Education and Technology this fall. However -- I've been a psychologist, dance/movement therapist and art therapist for some time. I now teach in those areas and hope to develop my a course in dance/movement therapy for online access, but it will take me some time. I have developed an initial one in art therapy -- but must revise and modify it for a different access system. This is my fourth Scope conference. I'm likely lurking for the first 9 days due to a project I'm finishing, but hope to contribute when I can.

Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Jo Ann,
I'm very interested in how you will develop a course in dance/movement therapy for online access. Will you be using live online conference rooms, Skype, or other means?

Thank you.
Nellie
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Hi Nellie,
Thanks for asking. Initially I hope to choose to put together various introductory to high interest topics about the wide range of dance/movement therapy approaches. Then I hope to develop scripts and pictures with experiential discussion for people to read and look at -- and in some cases to move and to sense through their own movements within their body. I know that this work will take a long time to develop. Eventually I hope to create various videos -- some role play and some with consented work. Cheers Jo Ann

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Jo Ann,
I wish you all the best in developing the programs. Thank you for sharing.
smile

Nellie

by Nalin Abeysekera -

hello meiers,

nice to hear that  you are a psychologist, dance/movement therapist and art therapist.Because i think it will shape the professsionalism.we look forward to your comments in the future.

Hi Nalin,
Thanks. As a Canadian living in Western Canada, I have been a pioneer in the Expressive Arts area as a specialization of psychology since my training in the early 80's. I have seen the expressive arts therapies grow -- especially in art therapy and the more general category of expressive arts therapy -- but dance/movement therapy -- although strong internationally -- has been slow to get the numbers in Canada -- although there are about 20 of us practicing and spread across Canada.

By teaching online -- I hope to increase the numbers as well as take a proactive leadership in making the educational information available to more people. I also like the idea of offering more professional development and continuing education. I have been keeping an informal going -- which struggles -- between the dance/movement therapists. Often we meet at the American Dance/Movement Therapy Conference in the US once a year -- attended by people who make it to the rather expensive conferences. I hope to offer more online -- partly for these reasons. Jo Ann

by Bronwyn Stuckey -
Hi Nancy,

Professional development and design and facilitation of online communities is my bag. For the last 5 years I have been working in an educational 3D virtual world program Quest Atlantis (QA) and now that we have a critical mass of teachers engaged globally working to support community amongst them.
I also coach online in the CPsquare Communities of Practice workshops which offer professional and immersive learning for CoP developers.

I personally graze the world (online) to find PD activities to suit my needs and am currently learning machinima and SL building with the University of Illinois, in an online workshop of Facilitating Online Communities, and running online and inworld PD for QA for teachers about the globe. Like Jeffrey I find it matters not where the learning originates from geographically but how well reputed institutions, leaders and courses are. My own learning is a mix of no and low cost activity. I'm happy to pay fees if it looks like the gains are there. I usually follow leads when I get a message from my networks, or a colleague recommends. To that end I have found networks (including Facebook), tags and Twitter invaluable in getting things onto my radar.

While I engage in a lot of PD and from many angles I think there is still SO MUCH TO LEARN about all this topic in the 21st century and I am truly looking forward to joining you all in this event.

~ Bron
In reply to Bronwyn Stuckey

by Jeffry Curtis -

Hi Bron,

"SO MUCH TO LEARN". "SO MUCH TO LEARN"?

I'm laughing out loud...we haven't even started. (~!|

Thanks for your post!

Jeff