Process of writing the book

Re: Process of writing the book

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Curt,
I'm really impressed. I've been writing a chapter -- during school, work, teaching, and raising a teen -- and that's not close to a book. But I get it.
Great job on getting it out there.

That said-- I think that one of the advantages of writing smaller things online -- would be to get it out faster, but then many things would not be "bought" or one might decide to give them away. I understand people really don't make money on books these days (if ever they did).

I like the idea that you tested the ideas yourself. Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Curt Bonk -

Jo Ann.  I have written a couple of blog posts in my TravelinEdMan blog about writing for publication (http://travelinedman.blogspot.com/).  I have a system that works (i.e., ignore everyone and everything else and write.  Smile, I am kidding.).  I like sitting on my back deck and sitting down to write and listening to the birds chirp and watch the deer walk by.  We have a forest in the back.  Having multiple laptops at the ready helps.  I do hate it when it rains.  At present, I am working indoors on presentations for the Wisconsin Distance Teaching and Learning Conference next week.  I think the link is down right now, but my keynote is Thursday morning August 7th at the Monona Terrace at 8 am (see http://www.uwex.edu/disted/conference/).

Writing takes tons of persistence, passion, patience, and polishing.  I was just answering Sylvia's questions as to the writing process.  Each book project and chapter is vastly different from the next.  I am writing to be 2nd and 3rd author on book chapters and focus on my book writing.  Hope that helps!

In reply to Curt Bonk

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Curt,
Thanks for the link and update. I do have to "cave" myself to get to the writing, but I have to be involved in a lot of areas of my interest to stay inspired. I'm writing today -- then 4:00 to 8:00 I'm seeing clients. Tomorrow I'm off to see my family and friends in Ontario -- but I will always have links to my teaching and yet be able to intersperse some events and important people into my life flow. It can be stressful, but it feels enlivening too. I will read the rest of the book on the plane rides (four of them in the next 2 weeks). Perhaps I will write a chapter next time on e-learning for health psychology, art therapy or dance/movement therapy -- someday. For now, the next thing I need to do is to look into wikieducator with Randy Fisher. I'm running behind some of my possibilities, as more are opening.

Best to you on your next chapters and book. I look forward to reading them.

Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Curt Bonk -
Yes, the world is indeed opening up!!!!!!!!!  And that is a good thing.  But so much to keep track of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No one can do it all!