Bandwidth bandwidth bandwidth

Re: Bandwidth bandwidth bandwidth

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 2

I am using my dial-up at home.(sri Lanka).because if I am going for ADSL line I have to pay more. Here in sri lanka we have to pay for everything. And once we are considering on proportion with our salary then it is huge. So it is difficult to use voices even web cam.. it is dead slow…even you have to pay also…finally it will affect to efficiency and effectiveness of my work(this is one problem we discussed in e-learning in developing countries).so remote communities=developing countries like ours.. i am not coming to a conclusion that all most all are same.. But mostly. Yes…providing equal access? Yes. .but it is a tough task.. Some times can go for instructional radio..But it depends on the content you expect to deliver…

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

by Emma Duke-Williams -

Nalin

Have you experimented with FlashMeeting? It's been developed by the Open University in the UK - and they have thought about low bandwidth, as though it's designed for web cam use, they've got it set up so that it's designed to minimise bandwidth. Clearly, you're still going to have to be online, but it's something that's been thought about. (Also, there's the possibility to use just audio, as that's using less bandwidth than video)

In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Nalin Abeysekera -

Sorry for late reply. but thnks for value addition...if we know the problems beforehand it is easy for us to use tools...sometimes once the conference started only we know that something is missing...anyway I will try to use it...currently at Open University od Sri lanka we try to introduce some courses online…people who are in rural areas can visit to their regional center to access. we are I in positive frame of mind in this regards.