SL-moderators?

Re: SL-moderators?

by Cristina Costa -
Number of replies: 8

Second Life has definitely unique characteristic when compared with other web spaces. What comes to mind first is the materialization of the one’s profile through an avatar – a more “tangible” shape of the self. In many other web 2.0 scenarios, such as blogs, wikis, podcast, social network sites, etc., one’s digital identity is mainly established by text or voice recordings. Then there are also some real time communication tools which contribute to the development of one’s identity online. Nevertheless, one’s presence in SL is a little bit different as it is embodied in the form of an avatar. It adds a quite different meaning to individual and collective activity online, as it evokes a different feeling of the self.

I think SL can potentially bring some freshness to the online education sphere, as a new space to re-think identity and sense of community through Avatars.

It is also powerful in the way it augments creativity, and I would even say it may help decrease inhibition among shier individuals. In SL anonymity is in general terms accepted and there seems to be a bigger effort to tolerate “the difference”. Hierarchy is also less perceptible here too. And to be honest, I think that is what SL is all about.

Some of my concerns about this environment are related with the still technical issues and requirements. They might be somehow discouraging for the less eager to enter their second life. Once you kind of know your way around, the technical glitches will not be that relevant. The problem is to get them started, especially the less young generations.

The new generations will enter so they are getting the “training” they need.

Our current audience still need a helping hand.

In that sense, and the way I see it, the moderator will have a crucial role in phase 1 – Access and Motivation. Some “holding-hands” might have to be done to get everyone on board. A lot of experimental activities which can tie in well with the social activities, in order to get them going and keep up the motivation. I use to say the “Dynamization” of the space is an investment which will bear fruits in the end. It is necessary to keep the “troops” motivated and provide them with the know-how, and confidence, to succeed.

In SL, I perceive these 2 stages will take longer than in other online spaces. There is a lot more of groundwork to be done in SL than in blogs or wikis, for instance.

I am now co-moderating an online workshop about blogging for educators. Our audience are newbies. Some of them are experimenting the web as web 2.0 for the first time. It is not easy when everything is online and when you aer dealing with people from all continents and the most different time Zones. Yet, there is always at least one moderator online ready to give an helping –hand. We skype to give personalized support, we answered questions posed through email, which are answered through the same via and thus shared with the rest of the group. I have seen people who could hardly attach a file to an email develop a wonderful digital identity. Knowing there will be someone out there to provide them with support has give them that confidence. They have exceeded their own expectations.

just my 2 cents!
In reply to Cristina Costa

Re: SL-moderators?

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Cristina said:

In that sense, and the way I see it, the moderator will have a crucial role in phase 1 – Access and Motivation. Some “holding-hands” might have to be done to get everyone on board. A lot of experimental activities which can tie in well with the social activities, in order to get them going and keep up the motivation. I use to say the “Dynamization”of the space is an investment which will bear fruits in the end. It is necessary to keep the “troops” motivated and provide them with the know-how, and confidence, to succeed.

In SL, I perceive these 2 stages will take longer than in other online spaces. There is a lot more of groundwork to be done in SL than in blogs or wikis, for instance

I'd definitely agree with this. I think that it's several fold. As well as the technical issues getting it installed, ensuring that it works on the PC, sufficient bandwidth being available, there are other issues. For example, perhaps more so than discussion boards, it's very easy for some students to wander off and explore - and gain a lot of extra expertise. Whereas when you start to use discussion boards with students, if they want to "practise" with one that, say, covers a personal interest, they have to know how to search for & find one. With SL, you can just go wandering off. Of course, they run the risk of finding just about anything, so it's a double edged sword, but provides the opportunity to develop movement, object interaction, communication etc., skills.
A good orientation is essential - we've been looking at NMC's orientation Island ( http://slurl.com/secondlife/NMC%20Orientation/69/107/32/ ) due to the educational aspects of it - and you have a greater chance of running into other educators while you're doing it.
Later on, Gilly suggests "Using SL resources e.g. ppt presentations" I think that I'd tend to look at getting potential moderators to look beyond the "traditional", and to be really innovative. Granted, Powerpoint can be used really innovatively (or pretty direly) in a face to face classroom; lets try to encourage just the really innovative uses to be moved into SL :)
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

wandering off

by Gilly Salmon -

Like the web in the early days?

This where design comes in...?

Gilly

In reply to Gilly Salmon

Re: wandering off

by Emma Duke-Williams -

Like the web in the early days?

Not quite ... I guess it's still possible to "wander off" on the web now!

This where design comes in...?

I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes ... I was thinking that it's very easy in SL to enter a search term, to teleport off there, and not really know where you are, but to gain experience of the range of users, of the different types of environment etc. When it comes to designing your own area, clearly you can make your island really innovative, so that students don't want to go exploring, but we can't (and I don't think any one would want to!) stop them going off.

I guess one of the points that I was trying to make was that it's very easy, for students who are interested, to get carried away with exploring the environment - and learning from it, perhaps in a way that a flat discussion board never could.
(Of course, you then may have to spend some time getting all the students back to "home" if they've not figured out the landmarking system!)

resources like ppt

by Gilly Salmon -
Point taken Emma but often we need to give comfort- at Leicester we have a lot of lecture wallahs who may need to start off this way. MOOSE is a research project and a demonstrator though I've always an eye on scaling up from the start. However I agree- for the MOOSE project we are planning to design SL-tivities (based on www.e-tivities.com)  which have a 'spark' to start a dialogue- these parks can take many forms. Gilly

stages 1 & 2

by Gilly Salmon -
so you're saying these stages will take longer- probably longer than they do now with forums and stuff but not longer than when I started in 1988 with dial up cmc (cue violins)lol Gilly

codes for mods

by Gilly Salmon -
Cristina in view of your (paras 1-2) should we be giving advice to SL-mods (and maybe participant students) on representing yourself as an Av. Before you all howl in protest...is this so different from advising forms of communication in text, or not wearing stripes in a vid conference??? lol Gilly

cristina 2 cents- about support

by Gilly Salmon -

What do you think the best way is in SL? Are you suggesting multiple channels?

Gilly

Dynamization”

by Gilly Salmon -
Cristina please could you explain a bit more about dynamization in the space? Gilly