Instructional Designers Network

Re: Instructional Designers Network

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Number of replies: 5
Sylvia: Yikes, what browser are you using?

I was using FireFox. I see I don't have the same problem in Explorer. It would be nice if participants could upload images as well as facilitators.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks, Deirdre. I'll check out Firefox on Windows to see if I can duplicate that copy/paste problem.

Oh, and just to clarify, anyone can upload and attach images to a forum post. It's the ability to upload and insert an image in the body of a message that goes along with facilitator access. I'll see what I can set up.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Emma Duke-Williams -
From Re: Instructional Designers Network by scurrie on Sunday 02 December 2007 20:53:00:
Thanks, Deirdre. I'll check out Firefox on Windows to see if I can duplicate that copy/paste problem.

I've just done the above copy/paste with Flock (which is Firefox based). Is that what you meant you couldn't do? I know that I've never (either this version of Scope) or the older one, been able to do that when I'm in this screen (i.e. with the message above & me writing my comments), but I've been able to do it from the view when you can see all the messages. I guess that's because you might want to quote from "Fred" while replying to "jane". However, it does mean that if you hit "reply" to Fred's message & then want to quote him, with the appropriate citation at the top (so as to make it clear for those who read messages sorted by date, rather than threaded), you have to go back to the previous screen.

It would be really nice if you could get the citation when you copy from the message list, or in the reply mode.

From memory, to activate it in the first place, you have to click ctrl+s, or something. Can't quite remember now blush

In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Sylvia Currie -
Just downloaded Flock. Thanks for the reminder, Emma! I think I checked it out awhile back then went off on a tangent and forgot all about it. It's that radar/memory thing again! tongueout

To activate smart copy open up a discussion thread (i.e. not in reply mode) then hit shift-ctrl-s This brings the context info with the clipping. The annotation tool doesn't work in reply mode either. I think it all has something to do with having to highlight text or copy from a static web page. I'm not 100% sure -- I may be confusing this why it doesn't work in wikis. (Okay, bad memory AND confused. Diagnosis anyone? clown)

I usually pop up the discussion I'm reading in a new tab or window while composing. That also helps me to get the full context instead of just the one message that appears when I click reply.

by Emma Duke-Williams -
From Re: Instructional Designers Network by scurrie on Monday 03 December 2007 08:18:00:
To activate smart copy open up a discussion thread (i.e. not in reply mode) then hit shift-ctrl-s

Sylvia
This is very weird. As I said, I'm using Flock - which is Firefox based. When I wrote the previous message, I quoted you and in this reply window it said "From Re: blah blah blah and then the message.

I've just noticed now that the message I wrote has the quote from you (the message that I sent as 12.28 & starts out Thanks, Deirdre - which is what you'd already say). Anyway, it's got the quote, but not the fact that you said it.
I hit "reply" to say that I thought I'd seen the information before I wrote it.
When I'd hit reply & got to see my message, there was the "From blah, blah".

I went back to the discussion view, and the from blah blah had gone.

I'm now replying to this one. Right at the top, it's saying "From...". I've a sneaking suspicion that when I post it, suddenly the "from" will disappear.

Weird.

P.S. It has.

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Monday, 3 December 2007, 09:57 AM)

p.s. Emma, thanks so much for finding this little weird thing! I've reported it to the SFU tech folks and the solution will probably be quite clear to them. Cheers! Sylvia

by Emma Duke-Williams -
OrkutDemographics.png

Just testing ... that's the usage data for Orkut - yet another SNS. I've got it in Flickr, and I'm using Flock as my browser, so I just had to drag it in here & it automatically embeds a thumbnail, which is a link to a fuller sized image.
(Getting images into Flickr with Flock's pretty easy too, it's just a case of browsing, selecting [multiple] and then uploading)

Emma

P.S. - It wrote this for me, I generally delete it, but figured it could be of use, as Flock is very useful in terms of integrating with quite a few social sites.

Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
http://flock.com