A Warm Welcome to Social Media for Educators

A Warm Welcome to Social Media for Educators

by Tia Carr Williams -
Number of replies: 10

Let me welcome you to Scope's 'Social Media for Educators' organized in collaboration with BCcampus Online Learning Communities.

I hope that you will find time to contribute and collaborate during the three weeks. I also hope you will take advantage of introducing yourself by the 'Voice Thread' as an opening gambit which is a new tool we are playing with.

I know that the assembled team come with outstanding pedigree and a deep desire to make your experience very productive in providing you with a forum and an opportunity to voice concerns, ask the tough questions, resouce answers from the collective experience of the attendees as well as the team.

I will do my usual net scouting to retrieve quality research around the topic which we will store in a thread for easy access and will be available in a 'take away' pdf by Therese Weel, who always provides stellar resource aggegation.

I sincerely hope you will get a lot out of the coming weeks and come away with a better sense of the role social media technology and application can provide in delivering education to the digital natives in your classrooms and elsewhere.

I would like to thank everyone else in the team for contributing their time and efforts to make this event a spectacular collective journey.

Tia

In reply to Tia Carr Williams

Re: A Warm Welcome to Social Media for Educators

by Niki Lambropoulos -
Thank you, Tia!

just to day hi to everyone and share some interesting findings in the PhD about writing online messages>

There was one focus group with the E-mint international online community managers. Twenty five (25) of the 47 participants' messages in the specific discussion messages (N=47, 53,1%) appeared to have a pattern (without the participants knowing there is a pattern):
1. Introduction, usually with an agreement with a previous message;
2. arguments and points of view;
3. an example to support the previous suggestions
4. stress of interesting points, more suggestions; and
5. signing out.

In another study, a developer said:

‘The lines in text on paper should,
for the sake of readability not
exceed 55-60 characters. On the
screen lines should probably be
even shorter.

Then you get longer texts. According
to Jacob Nielsen Internet user only
skim webpages for headlines and
marked keywords and they do it
very fast. IMO this makes online
communication and collaboration on
sophisticated issues more or less
impossible.’

Hope this helps; don't be afraid to post!

by Nick Noakes -
Thanks Tia and the other facilitators and presenters for setting this up. :)

Is there any chance that the live session times could be varied? All are at the same time (2am my time) and it would be great if one or two were at different times for diff time zones, depending on presenter availability of course.

In reply to Nick Noakes

by Tia Carr Williams -

Nick,

Good point. I believe Paul or Sandy are recording them for asynchronous access but of course that doesnt allow you to be there. How much time differential would permit your attendance..would you need a later time, I dont think anyone in Vancouver could manage earlier?

Our Live Sessions

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for the warm welcome and also for suggestions about our live sessions and different time zones. It's always a challenge! So far our presenters are in PST and EST zones and the times work for them, of course. But I do want to invite anybody who is interested in facilitating a live session to come forward! Also, any ideas for exploration just add them and we'll roll up our sleeves. :-)

On that note, today's session is:
The Social Media in Education landscape with Tia Carr-Williams and Ian MacLeod and moderated by Paul Stacey.

What is social media? How are YOU using social media? This session will also feature Truls Henriksen, the CEO of EctoLearning.com who will speak about the needs and challenges of social media for educators and their students.

This interactive live session is the first of a series for the 3-week Social Media in Education seminar organized in collaboration with BCcampus Online Communities.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Our Live Sessions

by Bronwyn Stuckey -
Thanks to all concerned for the warm welcomes and providing the interesting few weeks we have ahead of us. I have been absent from Scope for a while - finalizing my doctorate (yeah) and feel liberated now to join things again!

I hope to join the live session today. Like Nick I would ask for varied session times as I am normally in Australia but luckily today I am at Indiana University in Bloomington. Having access to the recording is great but broadcast and interactive modes are never the same ;-(

~ Bron
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
I cannot login to Elluminate. I get an incorrect link message.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by Paul Stacey -
In reply to Paul Stacey

by Sylvia Currie -
Sorry for the mix up, everyone! When the Elluminate password field was removed the URL changed. Fun! :-) I think I've corrected it everywhere, so if you tried earlier and couldn't make it in, then please try again. We're just now starting at 10:15 am PST. There's no such thing as being late!

by Nick Noakes -
Would 5pm PST work for any of the presenters?

Nick
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Ian MacLeod -
That time works for me - would be 9PM (AST) for me - no issues at all moving to that time for me.