Introduction to Micro-Credentials
13. Best Practices for Micro Credentials
- Think small - narrow down the competency. Not a course.
- Key employer / psi collaboration = success.
- Skill needs to be assessed. There needs to be rigor.
- Needs to be support to institutions
- Endorsement from institutions
[personal communication with Lena Patterson and Emma Gooch, EcampusOntario, May 21, 2020]
Characteristics of badges as a microcredential (Oliver, 2016b):
- Machine readable
American Council on Education in SUNY's Whitepaper - Best Practices
- Transparency - be clear about what competencies are focused on and the relationship with other micro-credentials
- Modularity (stackable)
- Portability - the microcredential has value locally, nationally and/or betond.
- Validity - both predictive validity and concurrent validity
- Equity - all students should have an equal opportunity to succeed.
Quality is important as it is in any qualification. The following is a nice summary of how quality is measured in different countries (Kato et al, 2020):